Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake LS6 Experts Explain

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake LS6 Experts Explain

This is confusing all engine builders and tuners plus all the gurus here say that the LS6 manifold runs out of steam somewhere around 500\600 horses flywheel and at 5500rpm at this level of power.

Well how do you explain SAM pulling 9sec 1\4 qtr at 139 mph NA with a LS6 manifold.

Cam is a solid roller so they would be spinning it, from what has been printed and said this shouldnt be happening.

http://www.samracing.com/99camaro.htm
Old 12-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Launching!

hmm, good enough for a nine second car, good enough for me also.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTBMad
This is confusing all engine builders and tuners plus all the gurus here say that the LS6 manifold runs out of steam somewhere around 500\600 horses flywheel and at 5500rpm at this level of power.

Well how do you explain SAM pulling 9sec 1\4 qtr at 139 mph NA with a LS6 manifold.

Cam is a solid roller so they would be spinning it, from what has been printed and said this shouldnt be happening.

http://www.samracing.com/99camaro.htm
[FONT=Arial]

Weight reduction, excellent driving, proper chassis setup,tires, proper gearing, proper camshaft selection, etc, etc.

It takes more than just producing 500/600 FWHP to get the car down the track in a very short time.

SAM excels in all these areas, hence their ability to take an intake limited motor into the 9s.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Yes your right the setup does count but I would point out that if that was the entire case a well setup solid roller motor with those specifications with that lift is more than what that intake could handle, so SAM being what they are and having gone to all the other modifications not changed there intake also.

Considering the effort they had allready put in with the setup why wouldnt they have used a custom intake.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTBMad
Yes your right the setup does count but I would point out that if that was the entire case a well setup solid roller motor with those specifications with that lift is more than what that intake could handle, so SAM being what they are and having gone to all the other modifications not changed there intake also.

Considering the effort they had allready put in with the setup why wouldnt they have used a custom intake.
They may have ported the LS6 intake somewhat, not for sure on that prospect though. I see your reasoning of not having such a high lift cam if the intake can't match demand. It doesn't make sense but it obviously is helping them out or they wouldn't use such a high lift cam shaft. Don't forget, they're trying to maximize every ounce of power out of their setup. Even if the intake fails to flow much more past a certain flow rate, it's not a total cutoff, more like approaching a point of more and more miniscule gains. But the more miniscule gains you attempt the greater the chance that they may add up to be a noticeable gain.

They could go with a custom intake at the pretty penny of $2,000+ but I'm sure they could fabricate one for less. I have no idea why they haven't used a different intake. I'm not on the SAM's R&D team so I can't say for sure