Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-pipe location

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H-pipe location

I am doing a conversion and am having custom exhaust installed. Where should the H-pipe be located for the most power potential...near the collector, directly ahead of the mufflers or does it really matter??
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it does-needs to be where the gases cool down in the exhaust stream. well that the theory of it to help scavenge and balance the system.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tillery
Yes it does-needs to be where the gases cool down in the exhaust stream. well that the theory of it to help scavenge and balance the system.
Not to be an ***, but that doesnt make sense. You WANT your exhaust gases to remain hot-- simply because the hotter the gas, the greater the velocity. When the gases cool, then you lose that vacuum or "scavenging" effect, negating the purpose of a free flowing exhaust system. This tends to happen when people run pipes that are a much bigger diameter than needed. But I will agree that it does matter where the crossover pipe is welded in place. I'd like to know where as well cuz a little R&D would be needed for an accurate answer.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Your not being an ***. You are right about the gasses needing to stay hot-or a constant temp. And What I ment was the H pipe needs to be placed in the exhaust stream where it is the coolest to most effective. The cool spot will create a vacuum that will pull the gases from each bank to create a scaveging effect to help balance each side also. A simple method finding this spot is AFTER your exhaust is completely installed(car on lift obviously) Use a grease pencil and draw a staight line on pipes. Or use a temp gun to get more accurate results. What your trying to find is the coolest spot to install the junction-H- pipe. cause here the gases are stalling,causing a restriction in the exhaust system.Dont remember if it Flomaster who cunducted (I know probably spelled wrong) tests to see if there was difference to an H-pipe placement. Or Dr. Gas. Make any sence? Call one of these guys and they can explain further and better.