Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early "tunded length" SLP LT's.. Major flaws and any pros?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Early "tunded length" SLP LT's.. Major flaws and any pros?

I've had these SLP Tuned Length LT's for a WHILE now.. The collector is very short, the primaries just seem like 4 pipes welded together and lopped off with a piece for 3" pipe, 3" long, welded on for a collector.

Honestly, do these perform at ALL? I am a bit low on my TQ numbers (in sig) and I am blaming these headers. The Y pipe actually isn't a bad design. It's not two pipes slammed together, it's got kind of a merge to it. I thought I've heard somewhere a while ago that these are a little better with H/C setup, but like I said.. Still have low TQ numbers. - A bit lower than I expected.

Let's not mention the ground clearance, that should go without saying. I call them the LONGEST TUBES.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had them for a while. I swapped them out because of the lousy ground clearance.

I swapped them for a set of 1 3/4 grotts which were very well designed but the quality wasn't great. I expected to pick up quite a bit. On the dyno I may have picked up 4-5 but nothing at the track. In fact my best run as a bolt on car (12.6 at 113) was with the slp headers.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

mine seem to do decent i went from 101 to 108 with the lts, lid and exhaust. my 2nd syncro is kinda bad or hydraulic issue so i dont really know how much they could possibly have helped. after i get an intake or cam ill have it tuned and dynoed to see if they hurt
Old 02-17-2010, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

372 is weak for H/C setup, what parts/size cam are you running on that 346 for the H/C?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:06 AM
TECH Regular

I would also like to know about the flaws of performance from the headers. I have a set on my car and the ground clearance is just crappy. I bought them used from a member on here on ebay. He said they were good used headers and showed pictures for them. I got them and the entire bottom side of both headers looked like they had been smashed in and ground down like he'd been bottoming out every time he drove the car. Maybe thats why I dont like them
Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
372 is weak for H/C setup, what parts/size cam are you running on that 346 for the H/C?
Wheel2Wheel P+P'd LS6 heads, LS6 intake, SLP P+P'd TB, PatG Tqr Cam @ 224/228 .637 .639 110 Texas Speed Tune @ 3300ft elevation. I asked Pat why the numbers seemed a little low and he agreed that it's not quite right, said the smoothing on the graph was wrong (??) and it needed a little more fuel down low. I just don't think TSP tuned it right.

I know the LS6 intake is holding me back, but I'm also blaming the headers a bit. I want ARH LT's and a FAST 92, but the funds won't agree much with it right now. I'm getting it retuned this spring @ ESP near sea level. But it pulls nice. I've pulled an MS4 cam before, a couple times.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

i dont know if i would put it all on the headers.....i am running them as well, with 243 heads (stock), ls6 intake, MS4 cam, 42# injectors, and all bolt ons, and i am close to your dyno #'s.....i like the headers.....i was told that my exhaust was restricting me more than anything else....and of course if i P/P my heads and changed intakes i think i would see a good gain!!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

^ My buddy put down some strong #'s with PRC heads, LS6 intake, Dynatech LT's, and Hooker CB w CME.. But he was also running EWP and UDP and he pulled around 440/390 on the MS4. Maybe it was 420tq??
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

hooker catback is a great one, that is what was recommended to me.....also the heads make a huge difference.....even ported and polished 243 heads wont gain as much and some good totally aftermarket heads will!!!! i think my cam gets me close to you, with your P/P heads but i know the SLP headers are not the best but i think you can work around them if you want to, but to each there own too, lol.......i will be leaving mine for awhile and bumping up other areas to see what happens....
Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

^ yeah.. I've been thinking that too... But my Y pipe is fubar.. Got some crushed areas after it didn't want to go back on after a cat delete. I'd like to find a used FAST intake, but that's not turning up much. I'm on a really tight budget for the next couple months.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

yeah i hear that!!!! i just had a clutch put in my car, so i am tapped as well for a bit.....oh well, nature of the beast, lol......good luck with the car man
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Would a Mufflex Y fit these headers? I can just replace the custom-crushed Y. Orwould I need to go thru SLP to find a replacment?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are u running a stock balancer?
I would not blame the headers really, we have NEVER seen the gains when switching cars from SLP to any other brand, a few hp if any gains, the SLP headers actually preform much better than they look...
I would look at the cam choice and the heads, personally

also get it on the dyno up here and retune that set up first
Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Stock balancer. I ordered an SLP UDP when I id my H/C swap (2 yrs ago) but TR sent me the wrong one, or whoever they drop shipped it from. I still want one, but like I said, tight budget.. I was thinking of selling the 4wheeler.. But I've had it up for sale for a couple years and no bites.. I could use that money for the car.. I don't really ride the quad much anymore, and there's nowhere to use a sport/race quad here in CT.. The gas goes bad between rides.

I'll leave the LT's for now.. Just needs a new Y pipe... This one is crushed anyway. Can't find a pic... Had to hit it to get it to go back on after a cat delete. Crushed from the back, but not HORRIBLY.. Any ideas on what Y will fit these?

As far as the cam, I'm DEAD set on seeing that this thing is ULTIMATELY capable of. PatG designed this to perform the same as larger cams, if not better. What I'd like to do, IDEALLY; TF heads w RR's, FAST 92 + injectors, Mufflex Y, UDP and EWP, larger MAF and lid or FIPK. Prolly a better RACTROMIX pump.. but that all that is a pipe ream right now.. Maybe 4 years away.. -Jeez, had the car since 03..

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-17-2010 at 05:09 PM.