Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new exhaust

I just bought a 01 ss camaro with the slp dual dual and was wanting to upgrade the exhaust to get a little better sound from it and also add some power but dont want to spend very much money. a guy suggested to me the flowmaster 80 series and i looked into it and found one for 149 installed was wanting some opinions on what other people might think would be better or if this is ok
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay away from flowmaster if you want added performance. No other catback is going to give you anymore power than what you have. The dual/dual is very sought after. It is a great catback that is all stainless to boot.

I have the SLP dual/dual and wouldn't have it any other way. Especially with a cam. Many people on the board would love to have the dual/dual for every day driving since it is so tame. If you ever plan on adding long tubes and eventually do internal work, you will like the sound of the dual/dual.

If you don't want to spend very much money right now then don't waste it on a catback. If I were you I would place a cutout in the i-pipe if you want to more sound and maybe a little more power. I have an electric cutout so I can be loud or quite with the press of a button.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM

where would i be able to find a cutout for the i pipe i just want a little more power and mainly for the sound the stock dual daul is not very loud
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

SLP dual dual flows really well.
If you want a different tone swap the muffler out for a
magnaflow of hooker muffler. You won't gain any power though.
Headers & y-pipe will give you more power & make the exhaust
sound more aggressive.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM

i looked into the magnaflows but from what ive seen its like 600 bucks for them dont really wanna spend that money on exhaust just for sound and not gain any power
Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Stay away from flowmaster if you want added performance. No other catback is going to give you anymore power than what you have. The dual/dual is very sought after. It is a great catback that is all stainless to boot.

I have the SLP dual/dual and wouldn't have it any other way. Especially with a cam. Many people on the board would love to have the dual/dual for every day driving since it is so tame. If you ever plan on adding long tubes and eventually do internal work, you will like the sound of the dual/dual.

If you don't want to spend very much money right now then don't waste it on a catback. If I were you I would place a cutout in the i-pipe if you want to more sound and maybe a little more power. I have an electric cutout so I can be loud or quite with the press of a button.
I agree 100% and couldnt have said it any better myself. OP this is the way to go. If you really read the exhaust section you'll see that alot of us have swapped to louder only to later go back with something quieter. Save all the headache and money and put it elsewhere. Keep this catback!! If you do headers and eventually a cam you'll be glad you did. Besides, LOUD doesnt always mean fast!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Although my y pipe was expanded to a 3 inch by the original owner, through stock manifolds and cats, my cutout sounds better, and obviously flows better than a catback. Cheap and very effective.

Oh and its way louder.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrisleecox5
where would i be able to find a cutout for the i pipe i just want a little more power and mainly for the sound the stock dual daul is not very loud
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTP-10300/

That's what I have with a DMH electric motor on it. It takes all of 30 seconds to remove the plate if you want and another minute to cap it back off. I used to do that before I had the electric motor. It was also the first thing I did on all of my Camaros because I too was looking for more sound then the dual/dual or the stock catbacks could give me. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTP-10300/

That's what I have with a DMH electric motor on it. It takes all of 30 seconds to remove the plate if you want and another minute to cap it back off. I used to do that before I had the electric motor. It was also the first thing I did on all of my Camaros because I too was looking for more sound then the dual/dual or the stock catbacks could give me. Hope this helps.
thanks ill prob go with that how hard is it to install
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Launching!

i looked into the magnaflows but from what ive seen its like 600 bucks for them dont really wanna spend that money on exhaust just for sound and not gain any power
I was just talking about swapping the muffler out. You can get
the muffler for around $130.
But as mentioned above, if you just want it to be louder, an
e-cutout would probably be perfect for you.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by OSU Football Fan
I was just talking about swapping the muffler out. You can get
the muffler for around $130.
But as mentioned above, if you just want it to be louder, an
e-cutout would probably be perfect for you.
how do u do just the muffler from what i could find they are all bullet mufflers from what ive seen
Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

I was charged $40 to have a shop install my cutout. Took them all of 20 minutes to do. With stock manifolds and cats a cutout sounds pretty good. Mine now is insanely loud, and doesn't sound all that great from 2-3000 RPM, but I still love it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Launching!

how do u do just the muffler from what i could find they are all bullet mufflers from what ive seen
This page has a picture of the SLP dual dual exhaust:
http://www.ls1sounds.com/slp_dual-dual.htm
This exhaust uses a crossflow style muffler.

This page has a picture of the LM1 & LM2 catback:
http://www.ls1sounds.com/slp_loudmouth.htm
This exhaust uses a bullet style muffler.

Here is a link to the magnaflow muffler I was talking about:
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4959
If you have the dual dual you can swap the muffler out.
It shouldn't be too hard to do. A muffler shop could probably
do it for pretty cheap.
If you have LM1 or LM2 you wouldn't be able to do it.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

had the LM1 on my camaro and had enough of the rasp that it made with the LT's and ORY. Found a SLP system off of a 97 SS and installed it. The car sounds so much better then before and seems to have better performance now with the added backpressure.