Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty headers and plug access

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty headers and plug access

I already know what you guys think about shorties, minimal hp gains and what not.

my question is, does having shorty headers make it any easier to swap your spark plugs? If i can find a cheap pair i may be interested in them just for that, plus i hear LTs are a pain in cali.

thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Launching!

with LTs it made it way easier than stock. and number 8 is easiest from the bottom
Old 02-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Teching In

yep, a lot easier... also, if you're going to replace the headers change the plugs and wires then
Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jimih941
yep, a lot easier... also, if you're going to replace the headers change the plugs and wires then
Yeah i would definitely do them with the stock manifolds are out, but i was thinking about the next few times that i will have to change them. thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Got shorties on mine, plug access is just as easy as LTs. I went the same route you did, ease of having headers and to clean up the bay. Them stock mans were just uggly to me. Plus I had a SLP LM system in all the way from the Y to tails, so I have only the stock cats still in. Just didnt want to worry about all the extra I would have to do for LTs and the price for LTs+ I cannot do atm, on a budget with 2 kids and being a military man.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tdevil55
Got shorties on mine, plug access is just as easy as LTs. I went the same route you did, ease of having headers and to clean up the bay. Them stock mans were just uggly to me. Plus I had a SLP LM system in all the way from the Y to tails, so I have only the stock cats still in. Just didnt want to worry about all the extra I would have to do for LTs and the price for LTs+ I cannot do atm, on a budget with 2 kids and being a military man.
thanks, i think that settles it. BTW did the shorties change the sound of your exhaust at all? Im going to be running stock cats and a dynomax bullet with no tips
Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Searching4Sierra
thanks, i think that settles it. BTW did the shorties change the sound of your exhaust at all? Im going to be running stock cats and a dynomax bullet with no tips
There was a little change, tone got deaper on idle when warm but there is still a loudness from the LM1 I have on there. Over all it sounds good to me. I am doing a t&t this weekend at the local track and Ill have the wife vid some runs for me. That should give a good show of sound with shorties on, and I have a vid on fquick with my mans still on, so you can compair the sound if you like when I post up the vid of the runs.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What shorties did you get?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

So are you going to just run the bullet after the Y-pipe and dump it before the axle?
BTW, that's how id did mine, JBA shorty headers, Random Technologies catted Y-pipe and a magnaflow bullet muffler into a turn down.
BTW, my spark plugs are easier to access with the shorty headers.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DadsZ28
What shorties did you get?
Got my shorties here:

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Spy..._LS1_C/637851/

Only install issue I had was with the drivers side header. The O2 bung was off just enough that is caused the end of the O2 to hit the engine mount, si I had to use a plazama cutter on the mount and knotch out a small bit to clear the O2 so it would fit into the header. Everything else went smooth.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=99Bluz28;12973942]So are you going to just run the bullet after the Y-pipe and dump it before the axle?
BTW, that's how id did mine, JBA shorty headers, Random Technologies catted Y-pipe and a magnaflow bullet muffler into a turn down.
QUOTE]
thanks for the pics, yeah thats where my turndown is right now. same exact spot. How is the random tech y-pipe? i may consider it.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Same shorties I have. Same problem here. I just drilled a new hole and put a new O2 ring. Easy as pie. I added an ORY at the same time and between the both the sound changed, but for the better. Also sprayed some VHT primer and then ceramic coat. Held up very well.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=Searching4Sierra;12974297]
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So are you going to just run the bullet after the Y-pipe and dump it before the axle?
QUOTE]
thanks for the pics, yeah thats where my turndown is right now. same exact spot. How is the random tech y-pipe? i may consider it.
It's a nice piece, fits good, flows good, and it moved my passenger side cat into a better location (right off the header, and out of harms way, I smashed one before). And to top that i passed smog with it last September.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=99Bluz28;12974844]

It's a nice piece, fits good, flows good, and it moved my passenger side cat into a better location (right off the header, and out of harms way, I smashed one before). And to top that i passed smog with it last September.
I may have to consider an exhaust setup like yours when/if I take my longtubes off. When are you putting in your eps cam? I'd be interested to see how much rwhp you make with that cam and JBA shorties.

ps. To add to the thread, I also have had JBA shorties on my car in the past and they did make plug access easier.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=Redneck Z;12975918]
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28

I may have to consider an exhaust setup like yours when/if I take my longtubes off. When are you putting in your eps cam? I'd be interested to see how much rwhp you make with that cam and JBA shorties.

ps. To add to the thread, I also have had JBA shorties on my car in the past and they did make plug access easier.
I'll be putting the cam in sometime within the next 3 months.

Quick Reply: Shorty headers and plug access