Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on cam

I'm currently at a standstill for bolt ons. Ive done just about everything i can think of outside the engine aside from putting a electric water pump on. my currents bolt ons include.
-long tube header
-ory pipe
- ud pulleys
- filter/lid
-gears
-axles
-auburn pro diff
-slp cat back
-thundervolt wires
-ngk plugs
-tune
ive been told a cam is the best bang for the buck. Ive also been told that stock ls1 heads flow pretty well. My real question here is what cam to get for what i've got. I'm still looking to drive the car daily so i'm not looking for a huge thumper. ive dyno'd at around 365,so i figure a cam should put me over 4 if i'm lucky. Also what should i replace when i put this cam in?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the cam sticky.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

will do my apologies. got excited not everyday the bank/aka my wife lets me spend money lol
Old 04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

You will need to do springs, rods, and gaskets for sure.
Depending on your miles you may need to do more.

There is a lot to choose from when it comes to cam. Knowing what your goals are with the car: Street warrior, track monster, dd, street/track, road course and any combo in between.
Id hit up Patrick or PredatorZ...
Old 04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

pretty much shooting for a 11sec street sleeper lol. cam is most likely going to ruin that. ive got about 80k on the car now. was thinking i'd prob change the oil pump while i'm in the middle of the project. Last run at the track before tune and axles/gears i was almost 13 flat with wheel spin. i havent had a chance to go to the track b/c of lack of slicks
Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by memphis24
pretty much shooting for a 11sec street sleeper lol. cam is most likely going to ruin that. ive got about 80k on the car now. was thinking i'd prob change the oil pump while i'm in the middle of the project. Last run at the track before tune and axles/gears i was almost 13 flat with wheel spin. i havent had a chance to go to the track b/c of lack of slicks
yup Id do the oil pump and an ls2 timing chain set. If you feel like pulling the heads Id do lifters too.

Im kinda bias but my el torro cam rapes all worlds.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oil pump, ls2 timing set, comp pr's, patriot dual springs, melling oil pump and a 228r.

eventually you will want to get a decent set of heads. maybe do what i am doing and grab a set of used 799 or 243 heads and have them worked a little.

if you keep an eye on this section in a few weeks when i get my new set up together and dyno'd it will give you a good idea of where to go with your cam selection.