Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collector theory question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Collector theory question

Yeah another damn header thread..

I have SLP Tuned Length LT's.. The older design. Had em on for 6 years now. I was reading that some people picked up at least 50hp with QTP LT's and a tune. I actually picked up 46hp with the SLP TL LT, Catted Y, Borla CB and a tune.. Also with a lid and P+P'd TB.. This was back in 04 when I installed them.. I was very surprised to read that mine perform up there with QTP results.

Anyway.. I was wondering WHY these headers have such a snub collector on them. After reading thru the links posted in the ARH vs Kooks LT threads. I understand that with the LT LT's the pipes are designed to be of unequal length to space the firing order and pulses apart so they arrive at the collector following each other instead of fighting each other.

I take it this is why some have a merge, or HV collector. But Does the SLP TL LT design just not need any kind of venturi or merge collector?

Pic from Google. This is what the driver's side header looks like. Note the stubby collector.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

BUMP...

Anyone??
Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

personally, I don't header choice affects horsepower that much. just stick with any LT setup if youre stock/mild.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Yeah, I've gathered that much.. I'm just looking to find out why the tuned length headers have a different collector than the "long tubes" that are more popular. ie; QTP, ARH, Kooks, Pacesetter, Hooker etc etc..
Old 05-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Merge collectors help in exhuast scavenging. Pull the exhaust out more effeciently.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

^ That is true. Not sure if it is needed for tuned length LT's though. The tuned lengths are designed to have the pulses of the exhaust follow each other instead of arriving at the collector at odd intervals and sometimes fighting each other.