Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effect of radiant heat on oil temp sender

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Effect of radiant heat on oil temp sender

I've had an Autometer oil temperature gauge/sender installed for quite some time now. I keep an eye on oil temps out of curiosity just to see how they're doing. I installed the sender just above the oil fiter, like the pic here:

http://xse.com/leres/ss/images/oilsender-sm.html

I noticed after I installed it that the sender is pretty close to one of the header primaries (actually, it is in close proximity to most of them on the driver's side), but I was never too worried about the radiant heat or its effects on the readings.

Over the weekend, I was out screwing around as I'm known to do, and as I'm driving like an *** on some back country roads, I blipped the throttle to drop it down into 2nd for an upcoming 90* corner. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed on decel that the oil temps spiked about 10-15* over what they were before down shifting, which made me wonder...

So today, I found some fire sleeve (the black kind from DEI) that I had left over from installing my remote slave bleeder line, and had plenty to slip it over the sender, so I figured "eh, what the hell." Went out for a drive, and the oil temps were oddly very steady...WOT blasts were enough to bring the oil temps up in a hurry, but deceleration seemed to have little to no effect on the temps. Overall, it seemed to help make the readings more steady.

I found some info posted here from 2007:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/7488393-post20.html

...but didn't really see any other information on the subject. Anyone else messed around with something like this?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I have one in the same place. The header radiant heat does effect the reading. What you've done to correct it is the same as what I have done. BTW, I have had nothing but trouble w/ Autometer gauges & no longer use them. Never had one that was accurate. Autometer's response when I contacted them was that Pro racers use 'em. So, they must be good. Pfffffft...never mentioned that the racer's get 'em for free, LOL.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any recommendation on an accurate gauge? The only issue I've found at this point is that on really cold days, the gauge reads around 160* on start-up, magically goes back down to the minimum reading and starts reading numbers that are believable after that.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Any recommendation on an accurate gauge? The only issue I've found at this point is that on really cold days, the gauge reads around 160* on start-up, magically goes back down to the minimum reading and starts reading numbers that are believable after that.
I've had good success w/ VDO gauges. Problem I've had w/ Autometer's were that although they were within 10 or 15 degrees of actual temp, they were never actual. Tested w/ radiant gun & stock sensor settings viewed on tuning software.

Also, bought a $17 Faze gauge (cheap) for oil temp & it's spot on. Came w/ sender, adapters, gauge, wiring, lite, everything. So, all I can say is that if you can confirm temp w/ an outside source, in order to double check 'em, there are several gauges that will work.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlˇmˇиąŧřя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve this totally goes in the external section.