Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers on need help now

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers on need help now

I just got done installing Long tube slp headers which for some reason were terrible to install, or the passenger side was anyways. I have been doing some reading and checking but can't find exactly what I need. I had to remove the starter and after having a somewhat difficult time getting it back in something is obviously wrong. I got frustrated and excited and trying to rush to finish. When the starter is out there are 2 sensors to plug in above the starter area. The one goes into a larger yellow or copper bolt looking plug. The wires were pulled out of this sensor. I think the other one is good. Also I hooked up 2 wires to the starter. Is that all there is, one large red one and the smaller one that go to different spots? Anyways when I went to hook the battery back up when I touched the cable to the battery the car tried to start. What are those sensors, and what will I need to do with the starter?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sensor just above the starter is the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the lower one, thats located in the side of the oil pan, is the Oil Level Sensor.

Even if there was something wrong with them, I don't believe either of these could cause the car to try to start on its own.

Your problem definitely lies somewhere with the starter.

Did the starter get dropped during disassembly or reinstallation? Or maybe the two connections at the starter are somehow touching each other and creating a circuit?

You'll just have to do some investigating and see what you find.

Good luck, man.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the starter off both of the wires were tight on there, I disconnected and put them back on the same way, I tried hooking the battery cables up with the starter hooked up but not bolter up and it didn't do anything. So I then bolted the starter on hooked the battery up and thought I had blown a relay or fuse or the battery was dead. I went to start it and everything was perfect. The car runs idles drives fine but the only thing I'm worried about now it a few wires that come very close to the headers. I put 1500 degree tape on most of them that I could reach but still some close. I ordered a starter heat shield wrap to block most of the heat. But also the sensor wires that had been ripped out, I'm not exactly for sure but when running now the low oil light comes on, can this effect the car at all? The other sensor wires were fine. The car runs great and is very loud... I haven't hook up the rest of the exhaust yet. Are there any other tips to help or prevent any damage? Everything I do to the car makes me worry about another problem somewhere. So far it is very strong and hasn't let me down.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your ride is up and running.

The wires that were ripped out are for the Oil Level Sensor.

Obviously, because you stated you now have a "Low Oil" Light illuminated on your Instrument Panel.

I don't know for sure if this can effect the way the engine performs. I wouldn't think it should, but I'm sure some one else will chime in to answer that one.

Either way, you definitely want the wires reinstalled into the connector so the sensor can work properly.

You will probably need to disconnect the connector from the sensor and take apart the plastic housing. This way you can properly reconnect the wires to the appropriate prongs inside the housing.

Once this is complete, your "Low Oil" Light should go away. (Provided you have the proper amount of oil in the pan. LOL)

Also, just an FYI, you may not want to drive the car for too long with open headers. I know it sounds badass, but with the placement of the front O2 Sensors in the Collectors and the open air just 3-6 inches away, the sensors will pick that up and translate a false reading to the PCM the amount of air in the exhaust. The PCM will then tell the injectors to start delivering greater amounts of fuel in an attempt to compensate. This will give you shitty mileage and less performance. Get yourself a nice Y-pipe & Catback or fab-up your own custom True Dual System and you should see a significant gain in performance.

Thats all I got, man.

Hope this helps.