Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake manifold and EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 intake manifold and EGR?

I'm looking into picking up a LS6 intake manifold however I do not want to delete my EGR. Not only do I not want to go through the trouble of getting the codes tuned out but I'm pretty sure it is necessary to pass NY state emissions. From what I gather the SLP intake comes with EGR provisions but they are quite expensive. Are there any other options?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP is the only one I know of unless you get a used one. We can get one for you if you need one. However, new they can get pretty pricey!

Jon
Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, SLP is the only one...I recently sold mine, I don't think many ppl knew about it because ppl were trying to say my LS6 was just like every other LS6 on the market. I have heard of ppl modifying a stock LS6 to get the EGR to work...but every saw a write up on it.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is to find out if you really need the EGR to pass emissions. Study this, and then even better ask someone who does the inspections if your specific car needs it to pass:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

There is so many grammatical errors in that document it makes me sick. Anyways, I'm not convinced you need it to pass and I think your inspection might be similar to ours in that all they check on 1996 and newer is the gas cap and OBDII, and don't do a visual.
"Statewide, including in the NYMA. The emissions inspection for vehicles registered anywhere in New York State includes and "OBDII" (onboard diagnostics) test for vehicles that weigh ,500 lbs. or less, and are model year 1996 or newer. Part of this test examines the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), also known as the "check engine" light, for operation/illumination, and verifies the test results of the vehicle's "onboard emission diagnostic" system."
I'm pretty sure there is a number missing before that comma where it says ,500 lbs, so I'm pretty sure they're talking about your vehicle. Probably supposed to be 8500 lbs or something.

"In all counties outside the NYMA. A "Low Enhanced" emissions inspection is required for most vehicles registered in this area of the state, unless they are subject to the statewide OBDII text or are exempt from all emissions inspections. This inspection is required for all vehicles that are under 26 model years old (until, and including, model year 1995) that weigh 18,000 lbs. or less."
And right after that it says the emissions inspection checks for all factory emissions equipment like EGR, however, I think that is only part of the "low enhanced" emissions inspection, which your car is exempt from because it is newer than 1995. There is a possibility you don't need it.

Like I said, best bet is to ask someone who would actually know for sure. Do that before you go to the expense of buying an LS6 intake manifold with EGR.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the aluminum intakes have EGR provisions and are much cheaper than an SLP LS6, plus they gain similar power. Yes, they do weigh a little more, but thats the price you pay for being legal I guess. I got my BBK for 250 and it gets through the strict california smog just fine.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a used FAST, more power & EGR.....
Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by X-ray
Your best bet is to find out if you really need the EGR to pass emissions. Study this, and then even better ask someone who does the inspections if your specific car needs it to pass:
Thanks for the info, but I'm leaning towards the SLP intake. Just seems easier and worthwhile to spend the extra $ to keep the stock EGR intact and avoid any possible headaches.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you spend the money on SLP's version of the LS6 Intake you could have purchased a used one from this site for $300-$350, then use what you saved to get a Mail-Order-Tune from Frost.

This would eliminate the SES light resulting from deleting your EGR and optimize the bolt-ons you presently have, making more power in the long run.

I'm not sure how this would affect passing emissions, but this would be the best for power gains and saving some $$$.

Good luck, man.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blt91RS
Thanks for the info, but I'm leaning towards the SLP intake. Just seems easier and worthwhile to spend the extra $ to keep the stock EGR intact and avoid any possible headaches.
If you're dead set on the SLP LS6 keep an eye out in the classifieds I have seen a couple come across at 300-350$
Old 07-23-2010, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I've read that gm ls6 intakes also require dremeling the underside in order to run the coolant lines?? Can someone shed some light on this?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blt91RS
I've read that gm ls6 intakes also require dremeling the underside in order to run the coolant lines?? Can someone shed some light on this?
If you want to keep the LS1 lines then yes you will have to take the ribs off the bottom of the intake. Or you can get the LS6 coolant block-offs and not touch the bottom of it

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s6-intake.html

Quick Reply: LS6 intake manifold and EGR?