Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mandrel Bent Vs. Chopped Up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mandrel Bent Vs. Chopped Up?

Does a chopped up style exhaust hurt the flow?

Im asking this because there's a guy locally that does exhaust systems, but he doesnt have a mandrel bender. So he pretty much just cuts up pieces and welds them all together to make your exhaust but he does the custom exhaust just like you wanted with no problems and doesnt charge you alot for it.

Example, my 02 Z28 had a custom 3" y-pipe w/ Magnaflow SPUN cats, 3" I-Pipe w/ SLP Loudmouth 2 Muffler, 3" continued all the way out the back to Corsa Clone tips. This was done by the same guy i mentioned above (i didnt know at the time, he didnt mandrel bend his pipes). This was all done for $175 (i bought the tips/muffler/cats myself).

I checked with this other guy who does have a mandrel bender but to be honest. He's seems like a dumbass, i showed him a picture of how i wanted my exhaust. Told him, i have the tip/muffler right now, would buy the small y-pipe that would go right after the axle (just to help him out, since summitracing has the magnaflow stamped y) but he then tells me, he doesnt have any 3" pipe for my I-Pipe section. Kept asking what pipe he was going to need to do and all that, so i just began thinking, maybe ill just go with the other guy. There's a few more exhaust shops but damn, they charge you alot for just installing a system. I cant imagine a custom setup.

So like mentioned, does a chopped up/cut up & welded exhaust system hurt the flow? vs. a mandrel bent system? And does anyone just sell the I-Pipe section upto the axle? If so, i wouldnt mind just buying that and going with the 2nd guy i mentioned, since he can mandrel bend his stuff and just watch him do it and make sure he's doing the **** right.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you will be fine with cut up pieces...that is how I am getting mine done at Speed Inc...

just make sure the pieces are mandrel bend...good luck man
Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

order a bunch of mandrel elbows and let your guy cut those up.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

99% of average exhaust shops DO NOT have a mandrel bender large enough for 3" and above...It is common practive to cut/section mandrel bends to build exhaust..If done correctly it works great..
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you referring to cutting mandrel bends, or making pie cuts?

I do a mix of both. Pie cuts can allow you to make tight bends and wont cut down on flow too much is you are considerate of the angles.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well im just looking for the 3" I-Pipe section, then after the small y over the axle drop back down to 2.5". Its going to be a custom CME, if i got some 90% bends off ebay or some place like jegs or summitracing. would they still work? as far as i know, slp doesnt have these sections in stock.

Edit: would bends like these work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MANDR...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Badguy7; 09-12-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ping King
Are you referring to cutting mandrel bends, or making pie cuts?

I do a mix of both. Pie cuts can allow you to make tight bends and wont cut down on flow too much is you are considerate of the angles.
Well i remember seeing the y pipe with a bunch of welds on it, like if it was sections cut up and welded together to make it. I dont remember how the rest of the exhaust looked though. I dont mind it, but had a friend tell me that i should go with a mandrel bent system because it would flow way better then what this guy does.

Quick Reply: Mandrel Bent Vs. Chopped Up?