Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feel like i just got screwed and couldn't do a thing about it

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feel like i just got screwed and couldn't do a thing about it

So just installed longtube headers took to exhause shop to get ory. Original plans ory 3" into a flowmaster 3" to 4" merge and runnin 4" I as far back as i cud then into rest of exhaust. He wouldn't let me do an ory cause it had to have cats so he's putting one on the passenger side. He said that there is no point for the merge and 4" piping. And that it wouldn't fit right with the merge cause it would be to far over. So getting ypipe made with a cat and connecting to my exhaust is $360 dollars with flange kit. what do you guys think?

I had my car trailered there cause they did a good job on my dads chevelle. Too loud and far with straight headers to go. And I pretty much had to get it done there cause my dad wouldn't have wanted to trailer it somewhere else. the guy was trying to make me feel like an idiot and i don't know crap about it since im 17. Oh and he goes on saying that from the headers I prolly picked up like 60hp
Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

tell him you dont want cats.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
tell him you dont want cats.
I did and he went on about $10,000 fine and that he wouldn't do it
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

catted y pipes dont come cheap and 60 horse from headers that guy is funny.... Does the county require cats/emissions that you live in??
Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SuperSport99
I did and he went on about $10,000 fine and that he wouldn't do it
blah blah if you lived close enough id just throw the Y-pipe on for you man cats are over-rated and a waste of money in my opinion..
TECH Enthusiast

So you had a shop tell you what to do with your car? And you're paying for it? I wouldve left.

I would think that one cat only would do more damge than good. Now, if they were to put it after the merge in the I-pipe, that could equalize things out.

If I walked into a restraunt and ordered a steak, and the chef came out and said I'm getting fish and am going to pay for it....
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, if your State requires cats/emmissions, then you are going to have a hard time finding a shop that will do the work that you were asking for. And 60 horses would be great, but no way...He's a dumbass.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

If you're in a state that has strict emmisions, a lot of shops wont do ORY's because it brings the liability back on them. 60hp from long tubes? thats a bit of a stretch, but they'll give you a kick in the pants. If at the back of your exhaust it is factory or smaller than 4", then he's right, a 4" I pipe isnt needed because the rear of your exhaust is still the bottle neck. Honestly $360 dollars to me for a catted Y pipe, flanged, fabbed, and installed doesnt sound like a bad deal, especially if you've had previouse work done there before and were happy with the results. If you really want an ORY, look at some of the sponsers on here that sell them and instal it yourself with the help of some friends. Its a really easy job to do.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout do the work youself. Its not hard. I just recently did my ory pipe in my garage on jack stands with the flowmaster 3-4 merge dumped at the axle. took me 1 hr
Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by GSus
So you had a shop tell you what to do with your car? And you're paying for it? I wouldve left.

I would think that one cat only would do more damge than good. Now, if they were to put it after the merge in the I-pipe, that could equalize things out.

If I walked into a restraunt and ordered a steak, and the chef came out and said I'm getting fish and am going to pay for it....
I know exactly what you mean and I wanted to. But its not my own personal garage and I can't trailer my car anytime but it is what it is now i'm just going to have him do two bungs after the cat I think for the o2s then I don't have to worry about deleting the rear o2s now. Still gotta delete the egr and air tho
Old 10-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 01SS99red
How bout do the work youself. Its not hard. I just recently did my ory pipe in my garage on jack stands with the flowmaster 3-4 merge dumped at the axle. took me 1 hr
I should have and I know that now. I just wanted it to tuck up nice and have the merge to cut out rasp and then have a cut out so I was going to have the shop do that part. But going to have to wait on the cutout now
Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you put the bungs too far back, it'll be pointless running sensors. The exhaust will have cooled off too much for them to take accurate readings...you'll still have ses lights.

Unfortunately, you're taking a step backwards. If you want an ory pipe, order one and install it yourself, as already stated.

It's upsetting knowing that a shop isn't going to give you what you pay for, however, I do see where the owner is coming from. But still...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:53 PM
MASS seller approved

take it to another exaust shop
Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to find a shady shop. I have the same problem here in CA. They actually send people to the shops to see if they will do jobs like that and they can get fined or shut down for not complying with the smog laws.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Remove your plates, trailer car in like you did anyways, and tell them it is a drag car only. You dont need cats for "off road use" right?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Remove your plates, trailer car in like you did anyways, and tell them it is a drag car only. You dont need cats for "off road use" right?
exactly. that would have been the easiest thing to do. but its too late for that. sucks to learn the hard way, but when you have an idea for your car you have to be stubborn with the shop. if they dont want to do it the way you want it done then dont give them your business.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so this guy is worried about you having a cat, but he is cool with you having LT headers which moves the original location of the cat?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Yeah well it's done with now if its all done well and tucked up nicely i'll be happy. I just didn't like how he was trying to make me sound like I didn't know a damn thing yeah i'm only almost 18 but I didn't just spend the money and everything on headers and not research the best setup and how everyone else does it. So as for clearance there should be around like a coke can or whatever if it's done well correct (driver side)? On a postive note header install wasn't bad at all went quite smoothly. And just got my gloss black berger panel with stainless steel camaro inserts and ss with hurst equipped badge, looking on the positive side of the weekend.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:00 AM

And 60hp i know right thats at the point where i'm thinking wellll i'm sure he hasn't ever worked with an ls motor and why the hell am I here. I'm hoping to pick up maybe 30? prolly a little less.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, given they are doing flanges, you can always use the metal rod mod. Jack the car up, drop the exhaust, then take a big metal rod and smash out the cats guts and shake em out. Kinda a waste of money with new cats, but I know a few guys who've done it in places that usually only visually inspect the car.

You'd of probably had better luck with running 3" into a 4" I, back into a 3" cat-back. The velcoity change into the 4" helps with scavenging and the 3" isn't much of a bottle neck.