Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feel like i just got screwed and couldn't do a thing about it

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI WA state emissions are by zip code so if you're in Everett you'll have to pass emissions. Wa state emissions are only a OBD II test in most places so just get the codes tuned out.

Sounds like you need to find another shop. But if you said the guy did good work before you may want to see if he'll do it cash only with no receipt. Most small places will be willing to do work on that basis.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't have let him touch my car if he wanted to do a shitty y pipe with no proper merge and was too lazy to do what you asked in the middle.

And a single cat? Um...no.

And the 4" mid pipe would still help, by the time the exhaust gets to the rear it will have cooled some so the 3" would be less restrictive.

Not to mention the price sounds high (but lots of things are a little cheap here). I could go get a set of true duals 3" diameter bent (stretch bent, not crushed) and welded up for $180. Unless that cat is more expensive than I think (not that you wanted it anyway...) I would have laughed.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, dont go with just one cat... i ran into the same problem with the cat but the shop owner was telling me they just cant touch the area where the cats used to be (which is in the area of the LT's). So I said the cats were upstream closer the the motor and he had no problems with welding up my y-pipe and cut-out. i think your shop is looking into the rules to much. So id go find some other guy mostly on account that one cat is just weird coming from a 'professional'.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This is what happens when you have the 3/4 race cam mentality. My local exhaust shops are the same way.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by supersport99
so just installed longtube headers took to exhause shop to get ory. Original plans ory 3" into a flowmaster 3" to 4" merge and runnin 4" i as far back as i cud then into rest of exhaust. He wouldn't let me do an ory cause it had to have cats so he's putting one on the passenger side. He said that there is no point for the merge and 4" piping. And that it wouldn't fit right with the merge cause it would be to far over. So getting ypipe made with a cat and connecting to my exhaust is $360 dollars with flange kit. What do you guys think?

I had my car trailered there cause they did a good job on my dads chevelle. Too loud and far with straight headers to go. And i pretty much had to get it done there cause my dad wouldn't have wanted to trailer it somewhere else. The guy was trying to make me feel like an idiot and i don't know crap about it since im 17. Oh and he goes on saying that from the headers i prolly picked up like 60hp
bs....
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Forget about that dude, save up some cash and buy a Off Road Y from one of the Sponsors and call it day. If your dad really wants him to do something then let him make you a Catback lol
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Forget about that dude, save up some cash and buy a Off Road Y from one of the Sponsors and call it day. If your dad really wants him to do something then let him make you a Catback lol
Agreed.

This won't get you your 4" I pipe, but you could at least have the ORY and Flowmaster Style Merge if you go with a Texas Speed ORY.

Good luck, man.

P.S. Does your Dad have Cats installed in the exhaust from this shop on his car?