Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)

I started this thread last month, https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...highlight=gsus
I started the work on the motor mounts and exhaust 4 days ago. The motor mounts ate up the majority of the time. I hope I never have to go through that again, what a pain.

Anyhow, started the headers and exhaust yesterday morning. What's unbelievable, is that the drivers side slid right in, no issues whatsoever. Didn't have to remove steering linkage or grind on anything (didn't even have to remove the oil filter). Passenger side took a little twisting around. Got the cats and x-pipe mocked up yesterday. Today went to button everything up, but, I have to take it to the muffler shop in the morning for minor tweaking. The pipes were suppose to terminate at the axle, but turned out to extend all the way to the rear sway bar. now, I didn't mind that, except that when we drilled the rear seats, and bolted them up; we didn't take into consideration the current state of the rear suspension. So, once the wheels were back on the ground, the rear pipes are way below the axle, and about 3" off the ground.

Just picked up new o2 sensors, and installed them. I still have to tie up the extra wiring in the morning.

Fired it up....WOW!

Sounds amazing. At least to me it does. I never had too much to compare it to, except youtube and ls1sounds. You can never really gauge the tone through comp speakers. I was expecting for it to sound like open headers (and was leery of it too) due to it basically being a straight pipe design. I guess the little baffles inside really work. Throttle response on the release is excellent, doesn't slightly hang anymore.

I have to give 100% credit to cyberkills' how to thread, here... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html

Here's some pics, from towards the end of the install. Don't mind the mess, everything had a good coating of PB Blaster on it. I need to find the "non-dripping" leak above the oil filter.
Attached Thumbnails Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0092.jpg   Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0093.jpg   Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0094.jpg   Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0095.jpg   Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0096.jpg  

Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0097.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll produce better pics hopefully tomorrow, when it's 100% done.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work, man. Get some videos up when you get it all finished up.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinR
Nice work, man. Get some videos up when you get it all finished up.
I'll try.

I really don't know my way around gadgets and such...much less on how to post videos. I might be able to email a clip to someone here if they want to post it for me.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I'd recommend - re-index the clamp on your driver side collector. The way it is right now is just begging to grab onto the first thing you drive over.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do. I actually have another clamp I need to re-adjust. I was just happy that there's no leaks.

I'm sore as hell from the hips up.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good work.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you.

This was a pretty big project for me, as I have never had to deal with such space constraints before.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

that engine looks familiar......
Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default new pics as promised

I have a short mvi video of the idle and short revs just past 2k rpms. However, as stated earlier, I don't know how to put it on the inter-webs lol. So, if someone would like, PM me your email and I'll send you the clip to post for me.

Here's the pics of the rear and of the side... and a couple of her all shined up for the track tonight in C.C.
Attached Thumbnails Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0098.jpg   Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0101.jpg   Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0099.jpg   Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)-img_0100.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A7pS7bUlTM
Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks and sounds good.

You mention going to the track, 1/4mile...? If so do you have any before exhaust times?

Also, doesn't seem like you had time, but did you get it tuned?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tonight was my first time out in this car, so no previous times. I ended up cooking the clutch some in first...hitting the rev limiter while doing so. Too embarrassed to give up my time...but I trapped a little over 108mph. Only made one pass as I was not aware of the "pants" rule.

Also, no tune as of yet.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:06 AM

You were wearing shorts and they kicked you out? lol and did you make those block off plates or buy them? did you get a quote on cutting them off and welding them up?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They were tolerant enough to let me make one pass, as long as I didn't try to sneek back into the line. I thought we were going to corpus, as I'm not from here. We ended up on the Mexico border. Apparently that's the only track around.

The block off plates I ordered off of jegs for about $3 each. I was originally going to have the tubes cut and welded shut, but the manufacturer did a pretty good job of welding them to the headers, so I didn't think that'd be necessary for now. That and I'm not certain of his skills in welding stainless. I feared that in the long run, I'd do more harm than good. The reason they're painted red is because I forgot wether or not they were stainless or regular steel. I felt as though it'd be a shame to have such "pretty" headers, only to have the plates rust up. That and I had some caliper paint left over.

Quick Reply: Whew!...everything's finally on (PICS)