Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I have a completely stock 2002 SS with under 63k miles that has a coolant leak. I drive this car 1-2 days a month (my DD is a 2002 Z28), and most of the time it sits in the garage. I drove it one day last weekend and it was fine- no visible leaks on the driveway/garage floor, and no coolant smell; I drove it yetsterday, and at a stoplight noticed a light coolant smell, so when I got home I popped the hood and found just a tiny bit of coolant on the top left of the water pump, where it meets the block. I couldnt see any dripping, and there was nothing on the garage floor. The temp gauge stayed where it always stays, so I didnt think anything about it. This morning I let it run and it quickly shot past normal operating temp, and when I opened the cap, there was NOTHING in the radiator....and nothing on the driveway.

I'm stumped....any ideas where the leak is? I'll be changing the oil tonight, so I'll check to see if there is water in the oil, and I'll look around the botom side for any other leaks.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

might be your head gasket.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no worries am guessing its your water pump i had the exact same thing last week..my water pump been whining for 2 months but i was too busy to change it when i bought the new one luckily it leaked when i was stopping at my garage i noticed radiator leaking but nth on the ground! the coolant goes under the battery by moving on the ac hoses or wtever there.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
might be your head gasket.
Didnt see anything around either head- just one spot that looked like it was coming out of the top of the water pump...? But the amount there was minimal and it didnt look like it had been dripping. Guess we will see when I drain the oil
Old 10-09-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

any steam from your tailpipes?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
any steam from your tailpipes?
Nope. The oil is fine also. I'm thinking maybe the thermostat stuck closed? I let it run for a half hour tonight and everything was fine....still doesnt explain the loss of coolant (it was low, and there is that pesky wet spot on the water pump/block...)
Old 10-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you feel any better, I have an 02 SS that stays in the garage...on a lift.

Last night I noticed my water pump has been dripping for some time.

She is getting old.