Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 92/92 vs LS6 on an SI car ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:24 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST 92/92 vs LS6 on an SI car ?

just wondering if anyone has results with this back to back....any loss in low end, and how much gain across the board ?....any track results also ? ....thinking about picking one of these up and running it on my car while its stock internal just to prepare for when i put a nice cam in it...if it gave me 10rwhp id be very happy, also has some port work done to it...thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what most ppl say the FAST setup is ONLY good when you have both heads and cam.

Even most cam only cars dont gain that much at all going to a FAST from a ls6. Some ppl even lose power! Most ppl opinion on the FAST is that its not worth the price at all unless its on a head and cam car and that its ported also.

Its seems to be common also that you will lose power down low but will make more power up top but thats not always the case as some gain power everywhere even if its not ported but im assuming thats on a head and cam car. If it has a good port gains will be everywhere and much more noticeable.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by demarco313
From what most ppl say the FAST setup is ONLY good when you have both heads and cam.
False.. He is going for some quick SI times, not average joe that doesn't think 10Rwhp is worth 400$ or the like.
You will pick power up, especially 5800+ Rpms which I am sure the OP is spinning to.

Even most cam only cars dont gain that much at all going to a FAST from a ls6. Some ppl even lose power!
False.. VERY few cars don't pick up a considerable amount of power (10+) switching to a FAST and a retune (granted same dyno/car running properly/etc). I have never seen anyone lose power and the result being the intake.
Most ppl opinion on the FAST is that its not worth the price at all unless its on a head and cam car and that its ported also.
False, port work is only worth a small gain.. However, for the price, it is kind of dumb not to get it ported.
People one a tight budget don't think it is worth it. People that would love to spend 1000$ on a intake/TB setup (or any mod) and knock off .1+ and 2_mph think it is an awesome deal.

[QUOTE]Its seems to be common also that you will lose power down low but will make more power up top but thats not always the case as some gain power everywhere even if its not ported but im assuming thats on a head and cam car.
False.. The VAST majority of cars pick up power throughout the entire power band, it is rare for a car to lose anything down low from the swap.
If it has a good port gains will be everywhere and much more noticeable.
True, of course.

If you want more top end, get a 90/92. If you want if to help you more on the bottom end, 102.

The runners are different.. From what I have seen (and on my car), the 102 gives more of a TQ increase and the 90/92 gives more of a HP increase. Of course difference H/C (or lack of) is going to show different results also.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Answers are in red

False.. He is going for some quick SI times, not average joe that doesn't think 10Rwhp is worth 400$ or the like.
You will pick power up, especially 5800+ Rpms which I am sure the OP is spinning to.

I havent seen a FAST go for $400.

False.. VERY few cars don't pick up a considerable amount of power (10+) switching to a FAST and a retune (granted same dyno/car running properly/etc). I have never seen anyone lose power and the result being the intake.

There was a thread on here that someone created and i believe they put it on a bolt on car and lost power same dyno also.

False, port work is only worth a small gain.. However, for the price, it is kind of dumb not to get it ported.

People one a tight budget don't think it is worth it. People that would love to spend 1000$ on a intake/TB setup (or any mod) and knock off .1+ and 2_mph think it is an awesome deal.

From the research ive seen ported ones gain a considerable amount over stock ones especially if ported by Tony mamo.

Its seems to be common also that you will lose power down low but will make more power up top but thats not always the case as some gain power everywhere even if its not ported but im assuming thats on a head and cam car.

False.. The VAST majority of cars pick up power throughout the entire power band, it is rare for a car to lose anything down low from the swap.

Once again from all the posts and threads ive been seeing on here and corvette forums plenty of ppl lose power down low UNLESS its on a head and cam car. Not saying all ppl but there quite a few.

Last edited by demarco313; 10-22-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

400$ over an ls6 will get you a FAST setup if you search. Worth it in my opinion.

I would be interested in seeing it. It makes no sense because they designed that to work with stock cube ls1s from bolt ons to full H/C.

Tony Mamo is an exception. Your average ported FAST will net you about an extra 5-10Rwhp max.

I would like to see these threads where people lose power, down low/mid range/top end/etc.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are fast 78mm intakes going for ?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garygnu
what are fast 78mm intakes going for ?
Almost as much as the fast intakes that actually give you a gain worth the money.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Lots of internet hearsay with no facts around here.. how about someone posts some documentation to back these opinions.

Btw I have a fast 78, seems to make a lot of power for an ls6 setup, considering bolt on ls6's generally make between 375 and 390whp corrected on the dyno I was on.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do a search you will find thread after thread backing mine, why should i do the work i didnt ask the question.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 AM

easy boys !, iv seen alot of different combos with the fast and all gained i have read about, just wanted some opinions, im suposed to be trading my ls6 intake and 400 bucks for this 92/92, if it gets me some quarter time ill be stoked, im at 11.7 with a 1.54 at 113 now and id like the car to go sub 11.50s....some of the mods im plannin on are
Fast 92/92
EWP
billit specialties
lightweight seats
pin on hood
ect.ect.ect it never ends
Old 10-23-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Do a search you will find thread after thread backing mine.
x2!! This topic had been beat to death!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
x2!! This topic had been beat to death!
If no one posted a topic that hasent already been posted there would be about 5 threads in this section...maybe theres new information, maybe someone has gotten different results, ya never knwo thats why ya ask

and iv never seen tracktimes on an SI car with a fast either, anyone think it would give me .1 ?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=lemons12;14026329]False.. He is going for some quick SI times, not average joe that doesn't think 10Rwhp is worth 400$ or the like.

Its seems to be common also that you will lose power down low but will make more power up top but thats not always the case as some gain power everywhere even if its not ported but im assuming thats on a head and cam car.

True, of course.

If you want more top end, get a 90/92. If you want if to help you more on the bottom end, 102.

The runners are different.. From what I have seen (and on my car), the 102 gives more of a TQ increase and the 90/92 gives more of a HP increase. Of course difference H/C (or lack of) is going to show different results also.
All true statements right here. You will not lose power, it just depends on whether you think the gains are worth it for the money.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
If no one posted a topic that hasent already been posted there would be about 5 threads in this section...maybe theres new information, maybe someone has gotten different results, ya never knwo thats why ya ask

and iv never seen tracktimes on an SI car with a fast either, anyone think it would give me .1 ?
Pretty sure johncr has one on his si car.. I most definitely think you would pick up .1 or more in the quarter with a tune.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 00blacka4

Its fine you posted a thread on this topic. My point was to still do a search because you might find more information than whats in this thread.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Do a search you will find thread after thread backing mine, why should i do the work i didnt ask the question.
I concur with your statements.. minus the fast 78 comment.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VincesSS
I concur with your statements.. minus the fast 78 comment.
Haha, more of a poke than anything.

Are the insides of a 78 the same as a 90 or 92?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 AM
8 Second Club

I have an LS6 now with stock TB and stock MAF with a cam only engine...The gains from the LS6 intake alone were dramaticly high...how about with a bigger TB and Intake??? I dnt know..i was wondering about the same setup..Which is gonna give the most acceleration>>> or if anything what are your personal opinions for a Intake and TB combo...>?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GT_EATR
I have an LS6 now with stock TB and stock MAF with a cam only engine...The gains from the LS6 intake alone were dramaticly high...how about with a bigger TB and Intake??? I dnt know..i was wondering about the same setup..Which is gonna give the most acceleration>>> or if anything what are your personal opinions for a Intake and TB combo...>?
Wih a cam, depending on size, the gains are going to be similar or higher than the op switching to a fast. Especially if you spin higher than 6000 where the ls6 doesn't breath good.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure johncr has one on his si car.. I most definitely think you would pick up .1 or more in the quarter with a tune.
yea he has one on his SI car and did back to back with full tuning and ran the exact same times...no gains to be had...

**** I only gained 1pmh with my cam only car...

Quick Reply: FAST 92/92 vs LS6 on an SI car ?