Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating issue

NOTICE: I already searched. I just picked up an fc rx7 with an 02 TA ls1 swap. Test drove it and it was fine. Put it on the trailer and trailered it back to where I rented the trailer from to drop it off and drive the car the rest of the way (about an hour). Drove 5 mins stopped for something. Started it back up and sat for 30 seconds. Next thing I know there's an explosion if white smoke. A radiator hose blew off. Shut the car off immediately. Looked at the gauge 30 seconds later and it was about 215. Put the hose back together let it cool, added some water and restarted it and immediately over heated again. Trailered it back home and tried bleeding if but still nothing so I replaced the thermostat since the upper rad hose wasn't getting warm. Put new coolant in as well. Started it and the upper hose got warm but the radiator didn't and it still overheated. Bled it and it re tried and it overheated again and a hose blew off again. What could it be? The coolant was clean and the rad looks newer so I don't think the rad is clogged. I need ideas what to check next. this is my only car. Thanks.

Last edited by rage941; 11-09-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Also rad cap is aftermarket and seems to hold good. More on how I bled it when I get home. On my phone now.

Last edited by rage941; 11-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 PM

Okay the way I had been bleeding it was how the seller told me, which was to crack the screw on the clamp on the upper hose by the throttle body. Then wiggle the hose and let the air out. That's what I had been doing until I read here to leave the cap off and run it.

But it seems like even the new thermostat isn't opening...the lower pipe was still cold, and the coolant level in the rad wasn't going down at all. So I took the stat out and had just the housing on, and both pipes got hot and the level in the radiator started going down. But then I realized my fans weren't turning on.

So why would this new thermostat not be opening either?

I'm searching now how electric fans work (I've never had one) to try and figure out why it's not turning on, but if anyone wants to add something it'd be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Continue to bleed from that hose (that is passes coolant from the steam crossover tube to the throttle body).

Air may be trapped in the heater circuit, so rev engine up/down 2000 rpm every so often while bleeding air (during warmup).

When both heater hoses are hot, the thermostat will open.