Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes best way to install???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Longtubes best way to install???

Got some pacesetter longtubes from one of the members here, it has

"pacesetter headers that have flowmaster delta force mufflers. It was my whole exhaust, and worked great for 2 race seasons. Exhaust does not have to be moved to take out the trany, and doesnt effect anything else"

thats what he told me thats what i got, just wondering if he dumped it on the middle, is that ok and not too loud???

I guess my question would be, what is the best way to install this headers with the delta force all the way to the back or the middle?? cat or no cats??? Best for a DD, but also want the most performance??

sorry im a noob for all the questions
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the best way to install LTs is getting the car a few feet in the air so you can angle them enough to slide 'em in. Only took me about 2 hrs to do.
I would ditch the cats, and dump before the axle. That's how I have my setup, works great, and as long as I'm not on the throttle, it's really not that loud.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thats what i was thinking so if i get rid othe cats does the car run good witthses light on?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

theres no best way to install them. look your way up and do it..many variations can occur. id say ditch the cats.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Same here. I just put on Pacesetters this summer. Raised the front end up, took my time and they went right in.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so dump it on the middle?? does anyone know how loud its inside i dont care about the outside as long as the inside does shake or rattles like crazy??
Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needtransam
so dump it on the middle?? does anyone know how loud its inside i dont care about the outside as long as the inside does shake or rattles like crazy??
when i ran open headers, my interior fell apart and what is still there is cracked. yes, it rattles it a bit. currently i have pacesetters with the TSP true duals. at the moment, my bullet mufflers are not on there. at stoplights the change in my cup holder rattles around and vibrates. but keep in mind that is with no mufflers or cats
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh so u think the shake would be moderate with the delta force mufflers?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes anytime you have duals dumped before the axle the mount to the body there without any rubber bushings will vibrate up into the cabin. i had td's for a while and they sound badass but i hated the vibration if you get a dual system that goes under or over the axle you wont have an issue but it costs a lot of $$$
Old 12-13-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The headers i have are pacesetter 702255 with flowmaster delta force mufflers at the end so im either going y pipe not sure whatt size or probably even TDS
Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine dumped at the axle with bullets, sounds great. Very mild vibration in the car at stop lights, even with cam. And as far as getting the headers installed, I jacked mine up to where the bumper was nearly chest high. They were very easy to install.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does anyone know if its illeagal would i pass inspection if dumped??? how loud is it?? went to ls1sounds but those are kind of not accurate enough
Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Launching!

whats with everyone and ditching the cats, like really you may lose what 1 -2 hp. Keep them in, you wont smell like gas and youll help reduce the amount of pollutants you put in the air.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe77
whats with everyone and ditching the cats, like really you may lose what 1 -2 hp. Keep them in, you wont smell like gas and youll help reduce the amount of pollutants you put in the air.
Driving a Prius huh? JK

Shame on the OP for not asking on his local forum first...

Hi, you may remember me from such forums as swd.com AKA 89formy I can help you with the install man, I did it on my 98 all by myself I don't know how good those mufflers will fit under the car too but yea the cats will have to go and you might as well get a tune (mail order from frost) to get rid of the ses light, air, and tune the car to get the most of the new exhaust system too. I know somebody here (El Paso) that will pass your car. He would pass mine when I was running mine dumped. The "loudness" on the inside of the car will mostly depend as to where you put your the muffler. Seeing as you already have a cutout and a catback system then just sell the delta muffler and do Pacesetters, ory, cutout, hooker catback and it should do good. IMO.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Theres a couple reasons 1. the cats that are used with lt's are moved from the stock location and are high flow so they have a much more limited affect on air pollutants than the stock ones do, and therefore you still get a little bit of a gas smell. Also they are about $200 more expensive than just using an offroad y pipe, and in some cases inhibit ground clearance because they are mounted under the floorboard instead of being mounted right off the manifold.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

I'm with him...I hate smelling like gas
Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
I'm with him...I hate smelling like gas
Jw but why are u agreeing with him yet you have an ory? what are the reasons you have an ory? Not trying to be rude or an *** just curious
Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Launching!

i agree that they add to the cost but everyones situation is different, if you can afford them I see no reason you shouldnt get them if you have them nicely done so they dont hang much. Burning off some of the pollutants is still better then none, many people still pass emission testing here with long tubes so the cats are still doing their jobs. I know hes in texas where they dont seem to care about emissions but pollution is a global problem. And no i dont drive a prius lol, my only cars have been a 85 trans am and now my 98 camaro z28. Before which i drove my mom's boat of a car a 89 deville, and a 94 deville. lol When i originally read it dont know why i thought he already had the cats, in which case i saw no reason to ditch them.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

I installed my LTs myself. The passenger side went right in, no issues. For the drivers side I loosened the driver side motor mount bolt, jacked up the engine from the oil pan (used a piece of wood) and that let the driver side slide right in no issues either. Done it that way twice and will be again in a couple weeks.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redbird555
Jw but why are u agreeing with him yet you have an ory? what are the reasons you have an ory? Not trying to be rude or an *** just curious
After about a month I took my ORY to the exhaust shop and had it catted.