Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a bad ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a bad ground

alright. car has been running fine since I got her back together and all of a sudden I burnt a ground strap from my block to frame. I replaced the the strap and when I go to turn the car over it gets hot as hell. I checked my ground side from my battery and found a loose cable on my starter. After I tightened it though it was the same thing.

Took the starter to get checked but it was completely fine... I checked all my positive side wires to make sure they didn't ground anywhere but couldn't find any. I even checked the alternator. At a loss guys...may even be the wrong forum but any help is going to be appreciated...Getting a little frustrated.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STFU racing
...and when I go to turn the car over it gets hot as hell.
What exactly is getting hot?

Originally Posted by STFU racing
...I checked my ground side from my battery and found a loose cable on my starter...
Ground cable to starter? I don't think so!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ground cable that is running from the block to the frame is getting extremely hot.

no I don't mean a ground wire directly from battery to starter. I just meant as I was checking all wires I happen to find that one loose but that wasn't the issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a larger ground strap?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The wire would only get hot if power was being pulled through it. Does it (the ground) get hot when the starter is off the car? I would start disconnecting stuff to narrow it down. Start with the main cables at the battery. I recently replaced all mine as I was having intermittent starting and charging problems and I always had a dead battery. I ran 5 new cables: battery ground to fender, battery ground to motor, battery hot to starter, battery hot to remote/aux terminal, battery hot to alternator. Things have been great ever since.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like this ground wire may have a bad connection or an intermittent break. ..