Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K & N, Power Pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N, Power Pulleys?

I recently purchased a WS6/M6 with low kms, very happy with the power! It came with a K & N to replace the air box and a Magnaflow catback. I have two questions:
1- the K & N is exposed to engine bay temperature and not directly ducted to the ram air like the air box was, is this an issue or once I am rolling the less restrictive filter will show the benefits? 2- will Power Pulleys free up some HP, can anyone recommend what they have used? FYI, I will likely have it tweeked on the dyno but I do not plan on cam, headers or top end work at this point as the kms are low and I really just want to enjoy the ride! Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

-There's really no power gain from a K&N. Paper is rumored to filter better.

-Under Drive pulleys are also said to take a 10th off your ET, so most think they're worth it but not a dire need. Thunder Racing sells some good pulleys. ASP, Powerbond, SLP. the SFI spec is good to have also.

-A rear gear change will be a big seat of the pants difference also.. Most go 4.10's on a manual. I'm still looking at 3.90's.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend going with a lid and a bottom breathing ram air for the most hp...the k&n is taking in hot air from the engine bay vs a cold air/ram air setup connected to a lid...

Chris
Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
-There's really no power gain from a K&N. Paper is rumored to filter better.

-Under Drive pulleys are also said to take a 10th off your ET, so most think they're worth it but not a dire need. Thunder Racing sells some good pulleys. ASP, Powerbond, SLP. the SFI spec is good to have also.

-A rear gear change will be a big seat of the pants difference also.. Most go 4.10's on a manual. I'm still looking at 3.90's.
Thanks, I actually put 3:90s in and didn't like them so I went with a 3:73, they have less than 100km on them and I have them for sale cheap if you are interested? I think I will check into the pulleys, small price for small gain.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrs1313
I would recommend going with a lid and a bottom breathing ram air for the most hp...the k&n is taking in hot air from the engine bay vs a cold air/ram air setup connected to a lid...

Chris
Would it be better to just put the air box back on and get a less restrictive filter?
What is a lid and what does it do, I see this on everyones ride? Thanks.