Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler only - dynomax or LM1

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler only - dynomax or LM1

hey im lookin to get just a muffler only weld in to increase the flow and make it sound way better. dont have near enough funds to do a full system as I'd like (true duals - ORX, bullets, etc) soooo my question is... which one should i get? I'm looking for a loud, mean sound but a nice tone too. leaning toward the LM but not sure yet. theres a lot of muscle around where I am (Oregon State University) with all the arabs driving every kind of expensive muscle you can think of and I want to show em up (at least in sound for now)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally like the sound of dynomax a little better. They usually give a nice deep hollow tone which I prefer on a muscle car.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00TA_vert
hey im lookin to get just a muffler only weld in to increase the flow and make it sound way better. dont have near enough funds to do a full system as I'd like (true duals - ORX, bullets, etc) soooo my question is... which one should i get? I'm looking for a loud, mean sound but a nice tone too. leaning toward the LM but not sure yet. theres a lot of muscle around where I am (Oregon State University) with all the arabs driving every kind of expensive muscle you can think of and I want to show em up (at least in sound for now)
just save money and buy
a summit x pipe 80 bucks
2 bullets 80 bucks

and have an awesome exhaust for 160 bucks...that is if u can do your own fab work (and it doesnt take much)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got my dynomax bullet in the mail....all I can say is wow. It is bigger than 3 inches inside and the holes for the sound to travel through are tiny. Without it on the car, I am almost betting it is louder than my SLP LM2
Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is an inside shot of a LM2 res....I would say near identical to my dynomax, which may be a little bigger as far as inside diameter.

Can't wait to get the dynomax on, I promise to post a review!

Here is a bullet res...again not much different.

*no need for the SLP LM1 resonator, that is just a piece of hollow pipe.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00TA_vert
Do mean that you want to keep your stock tail pipes and tips, and have a crossflow muffler welded in; in place of the factory muffler?

If this is the case, I would just go to a local muffler shop that sells magnaflow and have that welded in. It will sound good, especially since your stock.

If you want a budget catback alltogether, then I would recommend the TSP rumbler catback, sounds way better than the SLP LM2. After all, I believe it has a dynomax bullet muffler in the i-pipe.

Or theres always the dynomax race bullet catback. $311 from jegs. Very similar to the tsp rumbler. It has a slightly different path after the axel, but sound is the same.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want a "nice tone" loudmouth anything is something you should avoid.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really disagree with everyone here, the LM2 sounds great, but after looking at these pictures ^^^ I am glad I went dynomax seeing how open and free flowing it is.

ALSO the bullet catback is 325 shipped from JEGS (where the rumbler was 250+62 shipping for me) and the bullet catback comes with tips, but it gets better. $75 rebate with a dynomax exhaust!! WOOOHOOO. Just bought my whole system for 250 shipped.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Teching In

thanks for the input guys.. i am EXTREMELY limited on cash (like 300 is even too much) and i'm in college so no way to do my own fab work. i decided to just take it to an exhaust shop and have em chop off the stock muffler and weld in a pipe in its place with a Y to keep it dual out. and i'm getting corsa clone tips for it (the ovals are hideous) so gonna just be running straight pipes from the cats back
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ Poor mans LM1, I can respect that. Get a muffler if you even think about removing those cats.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Lol timmy exactly...I dont plan on keeping this setup forever, just something to sound meaner on a budget until I have enough to do true duals
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 AM
On The Tree

lm1 gets annoying its like a cutout in the sense of no exhaust tone.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a bone stock car a lm1 sounds great,that was the first mod I did,and later kicked my self for that one,after internals,and a ory it was way to loud,not that I mind loud but didn't have a good sound
Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

You don't want a LM if you wanna keep it sounding good
Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I installed that dynomax race bullet setup tonight, different animal than the LM2!

More details later, but the dynomax is louder, much deeper and really resonates (I love loud). This setup may be intolerable on a LT/ORY setup, but it sounds fantastic otherwise. Very deep and loud
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Wow, I installed that dynomax race bullet setup tonight, different animal than the LM2!

More details later, but the dynomax is louder, much deeper and really resonates (I love loud). This setup may be intolerable on a LT/ORY setup, but it sounds fantastic otherwise. Very deep and loud
I just saw that $75 rebate on Dynomax catbacks, and since the bullet race system comes with tips whereas the TSP Rumbler does not this is a great deal! I always thought the LM1 was way too loud and annoying. How is this system? You say it's louder than LM2? Does it drone while cruising especially on the highway? Any chance for a sound clip? The clips I heard from the outside of the car sound good I'm just worried about it being too loud on the inside with lots of resonance. My other thought is Magnaflow, especially because it's kind quiet and stainless, but for $130 less I might be willing to try the Dynomax!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say drone and noise are similar to the lm2. It's deeper in a very deep and booming kind of way. Def recommend for a loud setup! Yea it drones, but these cars have great sound insulation, it's basically silent doing 80
down the highway. Damn tire noise is louder than the exhaust at 80
Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get this Dynomax Ultra Flo http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17227/?rtype=10
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Teching In

well i caved and in the extreme lack of funds ended up just cutting out the muffler and having straight pipes from the cats y-ed to both sides. sounds pretty good imo, not as loud as i thought it would be. ill try to get a vid next few days (when its not raining )
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
I would say drone and noise are similar to the lm2. It's deeper in a very deep and booming kind of way. Def recommend for a loud setup! Yea it drones, but these cars have great sound insulation, it's basically silent doing 80
down the highway. Damn tire noise is louder than the exhaust at 80
Silent on the highway...sounds good to me. I just don't want to hear a constant rumble so loud I can't hear the radio when cruising. I think with the rebate the Dynomax is the way to go!

Quick Reply: muffler only - dynomax or LM1