Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Header Guys!!! No more extensions or corvette o2s!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wanted to throw the Denso part #s in here, for those that want oxygen sensors that don't SUCK...

Denso 234-4087

Both with the PERFECT amount of room to reach, and both heated.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I haven't crawled under the car yet to confirm... Maybe someone else can chime in

The 2004 Corvette has the same PCM pin outs as the 99-02 FBody. I'm reading (so far) that the Vette guys need O2 extensions as well.

**** on that.

Anyone with a Vette confirm the location of the rear O2 sensor plug, in relation to the location of the bung on a long tube header?

It's better to run the rear O2's on a Vette anyway bc they get hotter than the fronts.

Just wanting to confirm the location of the rear o2 sensor plug-ins in relation to the longtube bungs.

Pics would be a bonus...
Old 11-03-2013, 06:07 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Anyone have any C5 insight on rear O2 plug location in relation to O2 header bungs?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this on my 02 camaro in like 30 minutes !! I actually swapped my rear o2's to the front as well.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Bumping this to the top with all the new header questions we've had on the board lately.

I ******* love the guy that discovered this and saved me good money. I bought good beer with that good money.
Thanks! It's been awhile, but from time to time I check in on this thread, and I still see that it gets a lot of views.

I'm glad I could contribute to the LS1 community!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by TransAm_VS_VR-4
Thanks! It's been awhile, but from time to time I check in on this thread, and I still see that it gets a lot of views. I'm glad I could contribute to the LS1 community!
Thanks for quoting my potty mouth, lol. My name wasn't green at that time yet!!! I swear!!! (No pun intended!)
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I haven't crawled under the car yet to confirm... Maybe someone else can chime in

The 2004 Corvette has the same PCM pin outs as the 99-02 FBody. I'm reading (so far) that the Vette guys need O2 extensions as well.

**** on that.

Anyone with a Vette confirm the location of the rear O2 sensor plug, in relation to the location of the bung on a long tube header?

It's better to run the rear O2's on a Vette anyway bc they get hotter than the fronts.

Just wanting to confirm the location of the rear o2 sensor plug-ins in relation to the longtube bungs.
Pics would be a bonus...
The C5 actually depends on what headers you buy. The LG, TSP, and Pfadt style headers (LONG) take extension, the shorter long tubes like JBA's and ARH can still use the factory front O2's and front sockets. I went the JBA route because I HATE extensions.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Awesome Information.

TTT for 2014
Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Something to add for the Corvette Guys, or at least the 04 model year with the square, and not flat style rear connector:

You can still do this mod. I did it (so no extensions for me) but remember this:

The plug on the passenger side reads the DRIVER SIDE, and the driver side plug-in reads the PASSENGER side.

I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. Your car will run like GARBAGE and pop a P0300 if you screw the o2 into the driver side collector and plug it I to the driver side connector.

They MUST be crossed.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Bringing this back up because like a dummy when I installed my longtubes months back I soldered them (stupid BBK instructions) and now after my cam I am having problems with the car running too rich and my tuner believes this is the cause.

So to solve all my problems I am going to do this swap and use my rear o2 sensor cables since they are tuned out. I'm trying to figure this out though, wouldn't there be 16 wires and not 8? The oxygen sensors have 4 wires coming out and into the harness so 8 for the upstream and 8 for the downstream, or am i over thinking this and 2 wires splice together in the wiring harness? Also are the rear post cat o2 sensors the same as the pre cat? When I look the upstream up on rockauto the upstream right has a different part number but the 2 downstream and the upstream left share the same part number. From what I am reading it is just the cable length, am I right?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by WS6_Veteran
Bringing this back up because like a dummy when I installed my longtubes months back I soldered them (stupid BBK instructions) and now after my cam I am having problems with the car running too rich and my tuner believes this is the cause. So to solve all my problems I am going to do this swap and use my rear o2 sensor cables since they are tuned out. I'm trying to figure this out though, wouldn't there be 16 wires and not 8? The oxygen sensors have 4 wires coming out and into the harness so 8 for the upstream and 8 for the downstream, or am i over thinking this and 2 wires splice together in the wiring harness? Also are the rear post cat o2 sensors the same as the pre cat? When I look the upstream up on rockauto the upstream right has a different part number but the 2 downstream and the upstream left share the same part number. From what I am reading it is just the cable length, am I right?
It's just cable length. In my Camaro I used the rear O2's and they were PERFECT.

Don't worry about the wire count. Just swap the ones it says and that's it.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:23 AM
Teching In

So...I get the whole PCM pin swap part...but am unsure of what y'all are doing with the O2's...

'00 WS6, going to BBK LT's with ORY...

2 O2's will be gone (obviously)...PCM is currently en route to Frost for a basic tune...

Step 1 - swap PCM pins...

Step 2???
Are we using the rear O2's plugged into the rear harnesses?
Rear O2's plugged into the front harnesses?
Front O2's plugged into the rear harnesses?

My apologies that my lil' brain can't figure out this part, lol. I haven't gotten to this part yet, so it may be obvious when I do?

Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiveliterbtr
So...I get the whole PCM pin swap part...but am unsure of what y'all are doing with the O2's...

'00 WS6, going to BBK LT's with ORY...

2 O2's will be gone (obviously)...PCM is currently en route to Frost for a basic tune...

Step 1 - swap PCM pins...

Step 2???
Are we using the rear O2's plugged into the rear harnesses?
Rear O2's plugged into the front harnesses?
Front O2's plugged into the rear harnesses?

My apologies that my lil' brain can't figure out this part, lol. I haven't gotten to this part yet, so it may be obvious when I do?

The rear 02's are no longer used.
We are re pinning the pcm so the rear 02's plug ins are actually the front.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
The rear 02's are no longer used.
We are re pinning the pcm so the rear 02's plug ins are actually the front.
I understand that the rear O2's are no longer used for cat efficiency...but the rear O2's (now the only ones threaded into the exhaust) are still plugged into the body side rear connectors, but the repinning makes the pcm look at them as the fronts for air/fuel monitoring, correct?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fiveliterbtr
I understand that the rear O2's are no longer used for cat efficiency...but the rear O2's (now the only ones threaded into the exhaust) are still plugged into the body side rear connectors, but the repinning makes the pcm look at them as the fronts for air/fuel monitoring, correct?
Yes. This is correct. I've done it; works like a charm... unless you snap a pin off in your PCM like me. In which case, you need another pin, and can't drive your car.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by idle
Yes. This is correct. I've done it; works like a charm... unless you snap a pin off in your PCM like me. In which case, you need another pin, and can't drive your car.
Thx, Idle...and sorry about your PCM pin :/

I was jumping a bit ahead...finally getting the rest of the BBK pieces in tonight (had to Sawzall the top of the collector flange on the passenger side...no good on the floorboard...and poly mounts already), I see that there are boss' for front O2's as well...I'll have to find some plugs...or just thread the O2's in there and tie or cut the wires, I suppose.

Got the PCM back from Frost today as well...hoping to fire it up this weekend...still have other crap to do before driving tho.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Giving this a bump to anyone it may benefit.

Over 13,000 views, thanks guys!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Shouldn't this one be stickied somewhere? Excellent write up!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Definitely sticky worthy! Saved me money and the hassle of extensions or vette sensors
Old 01-30-2015, 03:57 AM

will this work in my 97 Chevy Camaro Z28 fixing to do a longtube header install

Quick Reply: LT Header Guys!!! No more extensions or corvette o2s!