Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake manifold drama

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake manifold drama

I recently pulled my intake to clean it up and paint it while my engine is out and noticed my runners dont line up with the intake ports due to a over kill on a so called port match. Motor was built back in late 07 so I havnt contacted them due to elapsed time. Engine has a wet plate kit on it and the ridge is large enough at the port that fuel/N2O could become unsuspended and puddle there before it rolls over into the port.

Iv looked for a FAST lower shell as FAST use to make them but no longer does and as Iv found out they are nearly impossible to find. Iv also thought about using a filler and then matching the ports but I dont trust the filler to not come apart and damage my engine. So is there a manifold that flows better than the FAST but fits under the cowl of a F-body? or am i lookin at getting yet another FAST unit?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

^ not really..... Fast is pretty much king. Try eBay for a damaged intake and grab the lower? Try getting ahold of Tony Mamo and see if he can find one, or has one?

92 or 90?

And holy ****, you weren't kidding..... There really IS nothing! 0_o It's been a while since I searched for one. And IMO, it was a really bad idea for FAST to stop making the 92. There's still a very healthy market for them.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also an epoxy that can be used on these,, Read a post about a guy who used it with no problems, GOOD luck finding a lower shell.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the epoxy they use on ported throttle bodies? That is in the intake tract, I am not sure what it is but that crap is not coming off it is permanently bonded to the aluminum.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try using moroso AB epoxy,I had good luck with it.it has a short shelf life get it from a good suppler.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrs1313
i have some 2 part 5 min devcon epoxy that seems to work really good for any spots that get ported through...i am not worried about the transition now once i use these thicker gaskets i am making...cant wait to get the engine back in the car...

pulled this off another thread this is what I was looking for earlier.

The moroso epoxy was also mentioned in Chris1313 threads as well.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya iv thought about the apoxy but since it will be exposed to fuel and N2O im not gonna risk it. 1000>14000 manifold is 1/14 the cost of my engine dont like patching things lol its an old school FAST 90 btw

BTW heres a pic of the so called port match
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDB
I recently pulled my intake to clean it up and paint it while my engine is out and noticed my runners dont line up with the intake ports
All LS motors are like this from what I've seen.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

looks like if the heads were milled the runners would line up better.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
looks like if the heads were milled the runners would line up better.
it looks that way because I couldnt get the camera down into the runner. The runners make a slight S shape, the sides and the top of the manifold runner line up with the ports but the bottom doesnt as to much material was taken out. The ridge is about 2 pennies high roughly 3mm or .118 standard depending on what port you look at. I have custom Diamond pistons for the 65cc chamber of my TFS heads to acheive 12-1 and valve releifs to clear my cams lift, millin the heads would take a complete re-design to have proper clearances and compression ratio nor would it align the ports correctly. I could get the ports matched to the intake but that would take away the option of a diff manifold later down the road.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
All LS motors are like this from what I've seen.
yes to some extent but I had my intake "matched" to my heads before the motor went together. there was no matching done here more like someone got drunk and went at my runners with a diegrinder

Quick Reply: Intake manifold drama