Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need an LS intake tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need an LS intake tutorial

searched but haven't quite found what i need. looking to do an LS swap into my thirdgen. really looking at 5.3 or lq4/9 truck motors, cause i seem to find them more plentiful and budget priced with decent miles. question is- which intakes work with which motors? these engines should have cathedral port heads, correct? or, if i find just the block- which heads should i look for? in finding a complete motor, i will have to replace the intake for clearance. just not sure which intakes work. any tips on determining condition on one of these used motors? i know they go for lots more miles, but not sure i even want a 100K motor although the prices on 80-100k motors are really good.

it will be NA, prob stick with auto since the car is auto now and don't want to go through all the t56 changeover yet. would like to put in a good cam, decent intake, maybe mildly p&p heads- fairly tame, looking for reliability and fun as a weekend cruisin/going to shows car.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Motor...

You first have to make up your mind as to what motor, here's help, get a good low miles ls3 long block, complete engine, is going to cost a lil up front but hey, just put it in, tune it and go, if you later want more power, this one choice is the best return for your bucks, cause already have the good heads in it, with cam and headers you will be in the high four hundred to the tire, just like that...and you can find one around $3,500...
Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Quick breakdown for you:
Yes all OE gen III heads are cath ports. So choose your casting there. The truck manifold will work fine if you get it with your engine. Depending on your motor mount choice in the third gen you might be tight with hood clearance (im doing a third gen). The truck manifolds are designed for trucks therefore they offer more tq and less on the high end, but if its "free" then hey. If you want to spend some money get a cheap ls1 manifold or more money on a FAST.
On the engines, miles really dont tell alot especially when your surfing through ebay. Some higher mile motors are real gems and a ready to be slapped in and ran, others not so much but the same can be said for a lower mile motors. It would be ideal to see what you want in person or really trust the seller and talk to them one on one. I bought two 5.3s, one 130k and one 67K. Both turned over by hand and I was told ran fine. The 130 was great and just needed a freshen up but the 67 had a spun bearing and a bend rod...
Also have you given any thought to running a carb? This makes running an ls much more simple (in my opinion). No messy wiring and no computer tunning issues and there are options on intake manifolds as well. Personally I went with a carbed lq9 with l92 heads. Slightly more expensive but nice hp for the $.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

just not sure what to look for wen inspecting one- but i suppose without tearing heads/intake/oil pan off i won't be able to. 3500 is way outta my budget for just the motor. i am looking to do a budget deal to replace the well tired 305, and gain the tuning flexibility and reliability of the LS. so, carb is out of the question.

so, you think the 5.3 truck intake will fit factory thirdgen hood? assuming acc mounting would need to be changed to fbody type stuff. ls1 intakes are cheap, no power gain i know really but solve the clearance deal. finding several 5.3's, most without harness- but is price is right....
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

just not sure what to look for wen inspecting one- but i suppose without tearing heads/intake/oil pan off i won't be able to. 3500 is way outta my budget for just the motor. i am looking to do a budget deal to replace the well tired 305, and gain the tuning flexibility and reliability of the LS. so, carb is out of the question.

so, you think the 5.3 truck intake will fit factory thirdgen hood? assuming acc mounting would need to be changed to fbody type stuff. ls1 intakes are cheap, no power gain i know really but solve the clearance deal. finding several 5.3's, most without harness- but is price is right....

Quick Reply: I need an LS intake tutorial