Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor thread cutaway view - how much wall thickness is in the threaded region?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

Default Knock sensor thread cutaway view - how much wall thickness is in the threaded region?

Anybody have a junk knock sensor that can be cut open? I had a Gen IV block and need to relocate my knock sensor to the side of the block. I would rather resize the knock sensor thread to M8 rather than modify my engine block. But I don't know how much wall thickness is in the threaded region of the sensor.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost all the "free" holes on the block sides are M10, would that be better?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Knock sensors are finely tuned by application. I'm already changing the effectiveness by putting it in the Gen IV block location. I really don't know what would happen if it were in a different location altogether not meant for a knock sensor. I'm not willing to take the risk.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id the geniv is m8 why not buy a gen iv sensor and just do the little re-wiring nec. for it. if the sensor is tuned for that locaton that would be the best bet
Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

After using my Captain Crunch Decoder Ring I finally deciphered what you said.

I found this thread that talks about re-pinning the wires at the PCM and putting in LS2 knock sensor tables, but I've not found anybody that said it actually works properly.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-computer.html

And then I found this thread that suggests mixing sensors doesn't work at all. I'm leaning toward this philosophy because it is safe-stand, until I know the other works well. That's why I'm looking at simply relocated LS1 sensor.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126845

Anybody have different thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Knock sensor thread cutaway view - how much wall thickness is in the threaded region?