Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head swap questions

I am getting the little things together for my ported 243 head swap and had a couple questions.

1. A diesel mechanic friend of mine said to use a die grinder on the block to make sure the head surface is clean and rid of all gasket remnants. Is this a good idea or should I use another method?

2. Should I lube the ends of the lifters on the cam side, if so what lube works best, and is there an orientation they go in? One side up one side down or does it matter?

3. Can I soak the head bolts in on blast to loosen them up?

4. Should I put it up on jack stands? I don't plan on taking the headers off completely, just loosen at the band clamps.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

1. If you use a die grinder use a fine roloc disc, you can scar up aluminum very quickly.
2. Soak the lifters in oil for 24 hours prior. Other then that no lube is really needed. For lubing anything else I like straight motor oil or assembly lube.
3. No, just yank em out, blaster would never get down to the threads.
4. For heads, on the ground is best. Lift it to undo your exhaust, then set it back down and do everything under the hood.