Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need exhaust advice....dedicated road race car

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need exhaust advice....dedicated road race car

Hey Guys,

I'm currently building my second dedicated road race car and I need some input on the exhaust. My other car is an LT1 car that has longtubes with single chambered flowmasters right off the collectors and then into a y-pipe to a boomtube. It is too freakin loud and the ground clearance is horrible. Some of the race tracks we go to in the Southeast have noise restrictions -- there is no way that car would pass. That car is getting midlength headers and a hooker muffler where the cat hump is.

My other car is an LS1 car -- This is the car I need help with. I am thinking about putting MAC Mids (don't need to make a lot of power-- need to be in the 340 rwhp range) with an ory to some kind of muffler dumped before the rear axle. I do not want to run the exhaust to the rear of the car for weight concerns. Obviously, sound quality is a concern but the more importantly I have to be conscience of ground clearance and volume.

Xr-1's sound good in videos but there are several different models of them so I'm not sure which ones I've heard and I have no idea how loud they are in person. Would the round 40085 even fit next to the DS?

How about the Magnaflow 14419? Would just one of these still be really loud?

I guess another option would be to put some dynomax bullets in the ypipe then to a magnaflow or xr-1. What are some other options?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres no such thing as i dont want to make lots of power lol but anyway LTs wont put you in 340's i guess! anyway my friend has the magnaflow bullet on his stock exhaust in the i pipe dumped and its way too quite. so i figure it will be OK with long tubes and ory but its gna scream at wot! XR1s are great mufflers too it doesnt matter if its the oval or bullet style its all about what suits you and what fits better.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
theres no such thing as i dont want to make lots of power lol but anyway LTs wont put you in 340's i guess! anyway my friend has the magnaflow bullet on his stock exhaust in the i pipe dumped and its way too quite. so i figure it will be OK with long tubes and ory but its gna scream at wot! XR1s are great mufflers too it doesnt matter if its the oval or bullet style its all about what suits you and what fits better.
Thanks! I'm assuming a 5" thick muffler would fit in the I-pipe however my car is lowered a good bit so the more ground clearance the better. A magnaflow muffler would probably fit better I just like the sound of the xr-1s more. Has anybody tried to stick a borla xs (40352) muffler in the i-pipe? From what I understand they're quiet, flow well, have great sound and they're only 4" thick(but 9.5 wide). The best option will probably just be a magnaflow(14419).
Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Just to follow up.... I've installed bbk longtubes, their catless y-pipe, and an xr-1 (40085) dumped. I could not be happier with the sound. It is a touch loud at high RPM due to the fact that its on my gutted race car but it has an amazing tone.

Quick Reply: Need exhaust advice....dedicated road race car