Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need muffler location opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need muffler location opinions.

okay here is what I have:

02 Z28, stock manifolds, gutted cats, factory y-pipe, factory cat-back with a cut-out and a flowmaster 40 series. I like the sound but I want more noise. Not raspy noise and not open bullet noise. I've done my research and I ordered a 3" moroso spiral flow and a new 3" cutout. Now I am going to put the cut out between the muffler and y for when it hits the track. Also I don't want to dump it. I want to try to get the noise at least over the axle. I have a complete cat back that I'm going to cut up but here is my question. Whats your opinion as far as sound and performance.

Y-pipe - cutout - spiral flow - then over the axle or

y-pipe - interm pipe with cutout at end - over the axle - spiral flow horizontal(tucked up so you cant see it.) - then turned down.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

behind the axle. for sure. there tons of space there and it would sound prety much the same wherever the muffler it.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

correct me if I'm wrong.. and I probably am LOL, but isn't it true that the farther away from the engine the mufflers are the more they quite things down? Just something I've heard a few times before but never really tested myself...

That said.. use the stock muffler location. You can just tuck things much better that way
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

idk about the science behind it but id say it is the same no matter were the muffler is. from my experience atleast
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. Behind the axle is what I was shooting for. Would give me alot more room to put the cutout in front of it. Never heard the close to the engine thing. Im sure it changes it some because of the air flowing through the exhaust but probably nothing you would ever be able to hear. That would be my guess. maybe if the pipe after was larger or smaller than the muffler that would effect it. I basically want to fab up something but at the same time not look like I just through together what I had.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My impression of the Spiral-flow is that it might make your exhaust quieter, and the flow isn't that great either. Have you considered just going with a FM 10 series muffler?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I like option b for ground clearance reasons.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
My impression of the Spiral-flow is that it might make your exhaust quieter, and the flow isn't that great either. Have you considered just going with a FM 10 series muffler?
Im not going to say your wrong but I have been looking at them for over two weeks trying to make a decision. I too would have thought restrictive and quieter. Based on the research Ive done. They flow good and are loud, not quite as loud as open bullets. I have seen countless hp ratings after installing spiral flows and people are only seeing about 2hp drop. Now I have seen two who claim a 50hp drop. I think they may have had a bad one. If that was true of all of them moroso would have never put it on the market. They definetly wouldn't be continuing to sell them. Plus mine will have the cutout. So even if it drops 20hp it will be open at the track where it counts.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I like option b for ground clearance reasons.
Im with you on ground clearance. Thats why true duals isnt even an option for me. All the roads around here are crap.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
correct me if I'm wrong.. and I probably am LOL, but isn't it true that the farther away from the engine the mufflers are the more they quite things down? Just something I've heard a few times before but never really tested myself...

That said.. use the stock muffler location. You can just tuck things much better that way
I think that is true providing enough piping after the muffler. so i "think" a bullet in the i pipe should be quieter than a factory placed bullet with a turn down..

OP, why spiral flow?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
I think that is true providing enough piping after the muffler. so i "think" a bullet in the i pipe should be quieter than a factory placed bullet with a turn down..

OP, why spiral flow?
Trying something different. I also dont want mine to sound like most of the ones in my area. It seems like everybody want tru duals with bullets or gmmg. Would love to have gmmg but not footing the bill for that. I tried a regular style bullet once before and have heard some in person. Not a huge fan. Havent heard the spiral flow in person just through videos and peoples opinion. (I know you cant tell much from a video) Plus i had some summit bucks so it only cost me 20 bucks. if I dont like it Im sure I could get my money back out of it.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

*cough* sweet thunder *cough* . Borla Stinger's sound amazing also. You can get a long case bullet and they aren't horrible.. 24" case is the perfect balance of sound/performance IMO. only reason I don't have them on this car is because I just prefer the muffled decel sound of the ultra-flo over the slightly poppier bullet sound

As far as TD's and ground clearance.. 2.5" duals routed in the factory location with bullets at the back provide 0 drop in ground clearance. good luck finding someone to put it together for you though unless you're willing to pay kooks to send you theirs =/

also, have you looked at hooker aerochamber mufflers? I have a friend with a TBSS that swears by them... he's currently having a 402 built and the builder isn't a bit worried about those choking it down *shrug*. I've honestly debated going back to a stockish setup and hookers... just can't bring myself to have a y-pipe again lol
Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

I feel ya. i even looked at the sweet thunders. Just figured I would try this $20 and 1/2 a day of cutting and welding investment to give it a try. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WICKIDSIX
Trying something different. I also dont want mine to sound like most of the ones in my area. It seems like everybody want tru duals with bullets or gmmg. Would love to have gmmg but not footing the bill for that. I tried a regular style bullet once before and have heard some in person. Not a huge fan. Havent heard the spiral flow in person just through videos and peoples opinion. (I know you cant tell much from a video) Plus i had some summit bucks so it only cost me 20 bucks. if I dont like it Im sure I could get my money back out of it.

for 20$? id say hell yea lol it is worth a try...and again worst case scenario they will simply sound like any other bullet muffler..
Old 03-01-2012, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

Agreed.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

You would of liked the LM2
Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Possibly. I just wish more people in my area had a variety inorder to hear them in person.

Last edited by WICKIDSIX; 03-02-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 AM
On The Tree

Well the new spiral flow came in. Hopefully get it on this weekend. I'll post my opinions after the install.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

can't wait to hear your results!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Well got the spiral flow on today. Love it. Over the axle and dumped. More quiet at idle than I thought it would be but sounds great on accel. Nice deep tone with no rasp. Would buy one again. Couldnt take any video since the weathers crap. I will try to take one this week.