Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to replace over axle slip fit with flange or similar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Possible to replace over axle slip fit with flange or similar?

The over the axle slip fit connection of my exhaust doesn't seal well, even when cranking a 3" wide two bolt band clamp on. Is it possible to replace a slip fit connection with a flange or other means of fastening the two parts together without having to replace sections of pipe (due to the different sizes of the pipe from expanding for the slip fit)? It's stainless and is the only separation between the exhaust in front of the axle and behind it (everything else is welded).
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could put a Vband clamp and collars on it. You may need to take your pieces to a muffler shop and have them resized to fit the 3" flange. One side probably fits, and the other will need to be expanded to fit the flange. I think the intermediate pipe slides over the over axle pipe right? The one pipe will need to be trimed by the amount they currently overlap, proably about an inch, as they will now butt up to each other. They won't charge you much to do that though. If your not comfortable welding stainless you could have the shop weld the collars on too. A Vband clam will run you about $40-50 bucks in stainless.

I did this with my Magnaflow cat back, it fits great and no leaks. Comes apart and goes back together in about 1 minute.

This is the type of clamp I used.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1398388
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the over axle pipe slides over the intermediate pipe, and they overlap by about 4 inches. I planed on having someone else do the welding, since I don't have the equipment to weld stainless. I just wasn't sure if a slip fit connection could be replaced with v-bands or the like because of the difference in size of the two joining pipes.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you slotted the inlet of the over-the-axle pipe? If not, make 4-5 evenly spaced 1.5" cuts so when you tighten the clamp, it has something to compress. Red permatex and using an impact on the clamp nuts helps tremendously too...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wrap the slip joint with a few turns of aluminum HVAC
tape and then put the band clamp over it.