Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my AC compressor is dying, video inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my AC compressor is dying, video inside

I'm pretty sure my compressor is ready to implode on itself. But I want to make sure. Is it possible that it's just the bearings that are going, or do you guys think I should replace the compressor? AC still blows nice and cold, like always. Noise started a few weeks ago, I noticed it when my wife got home from work. Seems to be getting louder every time it's used for any length of time, so I'm doing my best not to use it until I figure this noise out.

Here's the video
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Teching In

it sounds like a bearing is starting to go out. im not great with hvac but it still sounds like a bearing
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I guess I'll take it to my mechanic and have him look it over for me. If I need a new compressor, should I buy new and get a warrantee, or pick one up used? Also, I looked on Rockauto for replacements- is there a big difference between ACDelco (~$415), and Four Seasons ($222)? I'm assuming quality, but want to make sure.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

When my compressor went out, I really wanted to replace it with an AC Delco. I used Rock Auto as a reference for the AC Delco compressor part number, then googled the part number and found a website that was selling one for way cheaper. This is what I have been doing for a few other things now and it works great. Find the part number, then google it for the best price.

FWIW, I'm not sure the AC Delco compressor was actually worth it. I thought it would at least be made in Mexico or Canada. Nope--North Korea. Nowadays, someone else is making it overseas then everyone buys it from them and slaps their name on it. You are more than likely paying for the name and the piece of mind that you have "kept your car all GM."

And yes, get one with a warranty. The first compressor I ordered was bad and had to send it back. They were really nice about it and didn't ask any questions.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

defiantly new i have two used ones that dont work and you have a better chance of buying a new one and having no problems compared to used. and i know people that have the cheap ones (on non ls cars) that work fine but i work at a dealership (parts department) and there are just some things that you should get from oem (ac delco). its up to you but you get what you pay for.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Hey, thanks a lot guys. You really helped me decide what to do. If my mechanic says the compressor needs to be replaced, I'll be getting an ACDelco compressor, along with all the parts to enforce the warrantee.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is doing the exact same thing. For now I removed the AC belt until I can afford to replace the compressor.

Quick Reply: I think my AC compressor is dying, video inside