Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK LT Ceramic coated Headers and Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK LT Ceramic coated Headers and Y pipe

I tried searching and nothing came up is the Y pipe that's included with the coated headers is it also coated or just aluminized steel?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just aluminized steel, I gave mine a good coat of header paint a couple of days before I did my install.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

i just put that kit on a 99 trans am last weekend.the y-pipe is not coated just the headers.i also had a problem withe the y-pipe connecting to the magnaflow catback.i had never in stalled either kit before so i'm not sure which one was the problem.the y-pipe exit was 3" and the catback was 3"they would not slip over each other.my opion the problem was in the catback not the y-pipe.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Just aluminized steel, I gave mine a good coat of header paint a couple of days before I did my install.
did your intermediate pipe slide over or inside the y-pipe?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I had a feeling the y was just aluminized, I guess I'll just pop the xtra couple hundo fir the TSP 1 7/8 and off road Y combo then. Thanks guys
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sold horse,bought ss
i just put that kit on a 99 trans am last weekend.the y-pipe is not coated just the headers.i also had a problem withe the y-pipe connecting to the magnaflow catback.i had never in stalled either kit before so i'm not sure which one was the problem.the y-pipe exit was 3" and the catback was 3"they would not slip over each other.my opion the problem was in the catback not the y-pipe.
My Y wouldnt fit inside the stock pipe either & had to get an adapter made so I would say the problem is the Y. Not a big deal though, a few bucks at a muffler shop or buy an adapter.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

my guess was that the y was the problem.thanks for confirming it for me.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my Y would not fit either..... Had to get a coupling welded on for it to work. Other than that... Best Header bang for your buck easy!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sold horse,bought ss
You should be happy they didnt slip into eachother or your exhaust system would fall below 3" at your mid pipe. Not a big deal.. I gave an exhaust guy my cats and he gave me $30 and welded a pipe in the old school way (gas weld bada$s)

I like my BBK LT's for the money. The ceramic coating retains more heat than a stainless or uncoated setup and the install was pretty easy compared to others that i've read about. The only complaint i have is that the collector size was only 2.25" but i guess if the mid pipe is 3" it doesnt matter since 2.25"x2 is 4.5". The coating wont change colors like stainless either BUT you wont make quite as much peak horsepower down the road unless you get dual cutouts. For $700 more is it really worth maybe 10hp?

Quick Reply: BBK LT Ceramic coated Headers and Y pipe