Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stumble and RPM indication spike

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stumble and RPM indication spike

Several days ago my dad was out for a cruise in our '98 Z28 when a couple of odd things happened. While cruising down the highway the RPM gauge spiked a few times and a few minutes later the engine stumbled a bit. It only happened that one time. When it stumbled all the warning lights on the instrument panel briefly came on.I looked over the car and can find nothing obvious. What could cause this? I did recently replace the starter and water pump but everything looks fine in those areas.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Launching!

first place i would check is all the grounding straps, make sure they are in tacked and not corroded and also check you connection at the battery both negative and positive
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Checked the battery connections and everything seems OK. What would cause the tach to start wandering on its own? Does that mean the RPM sensor has got issues? I took the car for a ride yesterday and everything seems OK. Anyone ever had this?