Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Y-pipe banging, leaking...clamps the culprit???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hooker Y-pipe banging, leaking...clamps the culprit???

I started getting this ticking noise coming from the bottom of the pass side whch may be an exhaust leak is that how leaks sound?? ...Thing is We used the cheap clamps Hooker provides to connect Y-pipe to the headers...Do you think I should get them welded in all the connections where the clamps are?...I really don't trust the clamps being as they look cheap and top out when tightning them down.. .Also the Y-pipe bangs up to the driver side or somewhere..but maybe its because of the clamps.. ...After all the test driving and WOT it probably tends to loosen up a bit since all that torque is applied..What do you think???? ...Thanx!!
Old 04-04-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Probably the clamps. The clamps that came with my SLP's sucked! Once I got a better clamp, I never had any leaking issues.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

yah the clamps suck, install a poly tranny mount and the banging SHOULD go away, it made mine stop banging.
mine only banged when i got on it real hard, i have a 2000 ss a4
hope this helps, i got my mount from autozone ~$25
Old 04-05-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Get some nice wide clamps like the ones from Thunder Racing. They're a little pricey, but much better than the crappy ones that come with the Y-pipe. Also, try JB welding a piece of rubber under the driver's side, where the Y-pipe comes closest to the floorboard. That will more than likely stop your Y-pipe banging blues.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

What you cant call no one Jose..... man thats cold lol j/k
Old 04-05-2004, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

Make sure its not the cross member is not making contact with the y-pipe. Mine was banging on it til I took it off and pounded on it to create more of a dip or add washers. I used the stock clamps with no leaks. Another possibility is the heat shield on the passanger side I had to remove a piece on mine due to a rattle.