Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?s about 25% powerbond pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default ?s about 25% powerbond pulley

Can this balancer cause surging or even some stalling?
I get some surge/bucking mostly 1500-1700 rpm but still get it a little all through idle-2k. Car is easy to stall out in reverse also in drive with quick throttle and release. Tried turning the set screw in tb to help idle/stalling issues but ends up to be way to much idle. Acts like cruise control. So could this all have something to do with the pulley?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Car also runs hotter than before the build but cant say its from the pulley due to so many new parts on the car. Saw a post about after market pulleys making the car run hotter is this true?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 AM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question, but in all those new parts you have, is one of them a cam lol? I have the same pulley but mine as a M6 so its not a good comparison. Hard for me to tell about temps because of th edamn dummy gauge. My fans run pretty much all the time though, but I think its b/c of my chrs1313. Whatever is causing your problems I doubt it is the pulley. It may cause the car to charge a little slower but short of that and eating belts theres not much that can go wrong from one. People say that it can make the car run hotter because it turns your waterpump slower. Not sure how much truth there is in that.. good luck with it
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

I've been running a 25% powerbond pre, and post 4000 stall, and never had any kind of problems like those. Just the normal voltage drop at idle. The surging sounds like a cam issue. Didn't you just get a bunch of internal work done at slowhawk?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by b0b
Dumb question, but in all those new parts you have, is one of them a cam lol? I have the same pulley but mine as a M6 so its not a good comparison. Hard for me to tell about temps because of th edamn dummy gauge. My fans run pretty much all the time though, but I think its b/c of my chrs1313. Whatever is causing your problems I doubt it is the pulley. It may cause the car to charge a little slower but short of that and eating belts theres not much that can go wrong from one. People say that it can make the car run hotter because it turns your waterpump slower. Not sure how much truth there is in that.. good luck with it

comp cam 228/232 112
Im reading temps from pcm.
I had ssra before the install so I know how my car was. Ssra is not the problem.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
I've been running a 25% powerbond pre, and post 4000 stall, and never had any kind of problems like those. Just the normal voltage drop at idle. The surging sounds like a cam issue. Didn't you just get a bunch of internal work done at slowhawk?
Yea theres been a few times where the rpm will drop way down then surge up and during those times sometimes the lights will dim. Thats when the car is most likely to stall. If I turn the set screw tighter I can get rid of it but then the idle is way high and is pushing through the brakes at stop signs/lights.

Yes I did. He says the surge is normal along with everything else im being picky about.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

It's the tune... you need to take it back to your tuner and let him make some adjustments....
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by edub80
It's the tune... you need to take it back to your tuner and let him make some adjustments....
Thats what iv been thinking but easier said than done.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

I know how you feel... lol I been screwed on a tune recently... mine was blamed because of heat lol.... so I said screw it and got my own hptuners and been learning myself... my tune now is a whole lot better now than what it was the day I picked it up from the sponsor... good luck... hope your tuner will atleast tweek your tune... mine had surging on cold starts and hanging idle too.. its not perfect but its getting there... your should drive a lot better than what its doing though...
Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by edub80
I know how you feel... lol I been screwed on a tune recently... mine was blamed because of heat lol.... so I said screw it and got my own hptuners and been learning myself... my tune now is a whole lot better now than what it was the day I picked it up from the sponsor... good luck... hope your tuner will atleast tweek your tune... mine had surging on cold starts and hanging idle too.. its not perfect but its getting there... your should drive a lot better than what its doing though...
That was my thoughs exactly. If you want something done right you got to do it yourself. Iv been entertaining the idea of tuning myself. If I apply my picky-ness to tunes I bet I could end up a pretty damn good tuner
Old 08-04-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
That was my thoughs exactly. If you want something done right you got to do it yourself. Iv been entertaining the idea of tuning myself. If I apply my picky-ness to tunes I bet I could end up a pretty damn good tuner
do it!!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

I aint picky like that but my tune was jacked up lol... my afr was 13.9 at WOT when I got a wideband and checked lol... i knew then I threw money down the drain with that tune I got from the sponsor lol...

Quick Reply: ?s about 25% powerbond pulley