Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals vs dual-single-dual - which one is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default True duals vs dual-single-dual - which one is better and why?

I have an old Jaguar with an LS1 and I am going to get my exhaust done in a couple weeks. Right now the car has true duals, but it's a homemade job that was kind of stuck together.

I was originally thinking a custom dual exhaust system with an X pipe. However, I was also considering a dual to single to dual setup. It might be cheaper and it might be easier to package under the car.

What are the pros and cons of the dual-single-dual setup over true duals + X-pipe? Is there a big horsepower loss? Is one quieter than the other? Does the sound change much?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

In a well designed system they end up being REALLY close. You're better off going with the one that allows proper fitment without having to cut corners.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Shouldnt be any difference as long as the muffler you choose is free flowing like a chambered muffler. I run duals into a single muffler out as duals in my truck. I will be doing the same in my car when I finish the motor.
Dont let someone tell you that true duals with two (2) mufflers is better than duals into a chambered muff and out as duals is 1000 times better. The dual in/out muffler serves as your X or H pipe and to me the dual in/out sounds deeper and less crackly, more of a refined sound.
Dont get me wrong, a good motor and true duals sounds great but for your Jag and my '02 SS the dual in/out is the ticket for great sound that isnt over bearing.
Just my 2 cents!

Chad
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any decrease from true duals to a true single pipe will hamper flow and negatively affect power when compared to a dual system. How much depends on pipe size and engine combination. Packaging may make it necessary, but it ultimately will affect performance.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run cut outs off your headers, simple easy power gain. If you have a nice cam it sounds really good off open headers.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will agree that you can make more power with true duals, the amount is up for debate. A well thought out y pipe exhaust setup will still perform very well and fit much better when the car was designed for it.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info guys.

Packaging actually favors two smaller mufflers at the very end of the system in front of each exhaust tips. The only place I thought it might help would be coming from the back of the transmission to the rear end. I'll see what the exhaust shop has to say.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Captain Double Post

Duals is the way to go, but like what was said it depends what you have to work with,in my big cam car duals were night and day over my y pipe setup, car pulled so much harder all in the rpm range, there is more info in the true dual stickey that would answer all your questions as well,just find a skilled exhaust guy that has done custom jobs before and you will be happy, you would be surprised on how hard that is to find though

Quick Reply: True duals vs dual-single-dual - which one is better and why?