Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing motor quest? where does the chassis/battery ground go? Starter or block ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing motor quest? where does the chassis/battery ground go? Starter or block ?

I've been looking at my wiring lately and am about to put my motor back in.

I did the battery relocation and I need to know if the ground that connects to the chassis up by the battery in the stock location goes to the starter or to the block. I can't remember and this wire went to I did not label for whatever reason. Can anybody tell me this?

I know it goes somewhere near the starter and I re did the ground to the chassis and left it hanging down in the starter location. I just don't want to hook it up to the wrong thing.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

To the block would be my thought. I am not looking at mine so do not take that as truth. But. The starter just has the main 12v+ wire from the battery and a smaller wire to trigger the solenoid. The starter is grounded via the bolts that hold it into the starter hole. Those holes are in the housing, which is attatched to the block. So that being said, there needs to be a ground wire to the block, as well as various chassis grounds.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks I was pretty sure it went to the block just wanted to be sure.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if memory serves me... grounds to the block... one right above the starter. one on the drivers side. One set on the drivers side head.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

shoot it will probably all come back to me once the engine is in there and I start bolting it all back together. I honestly cannot even remember one on the drivers side block. I do remember the grounds on the back of the heads though.