Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for Type/Mfg External Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Recommendation for Type/Mfg External Oil Cooler?

For those of you running an external oil cooler (not incorporated into the rad) what type are you using?

I want to run a set-up similar to the one used by several guys here that have the LG Motorsports rad with the integral cooler - but I'm not gonna spend $800-1000 on that particular radiator when I can pick up a BeCool that is just as good at half the cost (but without the oil cooler)

Plan is to use the adapter and the fittings (#10 size line as in the write-up) with a cooler mounted behind the opening in front fascia similar to the way I hooked up my tranny cooler on the other side.

Problem is I don't think a tranny cooler will serve adequately as an oil cooler due to flow reasons and I havent found one that would accept the size fittings needed. So I guess I'm probably looking to get a headered type cooler with large diameter tubing.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
-Jay-
Old 04-09-2004, 04:43 PM

Factory OEM coolers are inadequate for anything but daily commuting. Here are a couple of places that definitely have the hardware you are looking for:

www.hoerr-racing.com
www.bakerprecsion.com
www.racerpartswholesale.com

For hoses go here:
www.anplumbing.com
www.xrp.com
www.goodridge.net

You need to pay close attention to how much cooling you want (temp drop). The proper oil temperature is very critical. These will work, there are a lot of things to consider. Pay close attention to the amount of fins per inch and how much area the unit has; it's thickness and such. You can call these places and they will be glad to assist you.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the biggest Hayden I could find, it was fairly cheap
and seemed good enough.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sawedoff
Factory OEM coolers are inadequate for anything but daily commuting. Here are a couple of places that definitely have the hardware you are looking for:

www.hoerr-racing.com
www.bakerprecsion.com
www.racerpartswholesale.com

For hoses go here:
www.anplumbing.com
www.xrp.com
www.goodridge.net

You need to pay close attention to how much cooling you want (temp drop). The proper oil temperature is very critical. These will work, there are a lot of things to consider. Pay close attention to the amount of fins per inch and how much area the unit has; it's thickness and such. You can call these places and they will be glad to assist you.

so what is the proper oil temp on an ls1???
Old 04-10-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the benefits to cooling the oil. I am very intrigued and would like to know more. Having little intercoolers in the facia holes would look cooler than anything.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by soundengineer
so what is the proper oil temp on an ls1???
You want the oil hot enough to burn of the condensation and gasoline in the oil, which reduces the oils ability to lubricate. At the same time you don't want the oil to burn and start thermally breaking down. This is where a real quality oil comes into play, preferrably a synthetic. How are you using your car? What viscocity of oil are you using? How was the engine built? It gets really stupid in details. Putting the stock thermostat back in would help. Running an engine too cool doesn't help things, and doesn't get rid of the fuel and water in the oil. Also high volume oil pumps aren't necessary. Heat and pressure are interrelated, one creates the other. Just use a stock oil pump that's been blue printed. There really isn't a one size fits all formula for engine oil temps.