Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Block Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Water Pump Block Off

Just making sure here...

I have blocked off the ports for the heater hoses on the water pump. I suspect that's ok, but I have seen other members actually run a hose from one to the other....

Does it matter?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My swap has Vintage Air and their heater control valve is a positive shut-off. I have no problems with my swap overheating. OTOH, Stu Cool never had problems until recently, when he had overheating issues on long grades in the mountains. I don't worry because there are no grades within 500 miles of me.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The original design was to have continuous flow through the heater ports. On the marine version of the LS motors, they use a bypass hose connecting the 2 ports. I have 2 LS swaps, one with vintage air, the other with classic auto air. Both have heater control valves without a bypass. So far, no issues.
In your case where you simply want to eliminate the heater hoses, I would use a bypass hose. There is a part number for one somewhere in the conversions forum. Probably easier and cheaper than removing the fittings, tapping and plugging the water pump too.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
The original design was to have continuous flow through the heater ports. On the marine version of the LS motors, they use a bypass hose connecting the 2 ports. I have 2 LS swaps, one with vintage air, the other with classic auto air. Both have heater control valves without a bypass. So far, no issues.
In your case where you simply want to eliminate the heater hoses, I would use a bypass hose. There is a part number for one somewhere in the conversions forum. Probably easier and cheaper than removing the fittings, tapping and plugging the water pump too.
Right now, I have rubber caps on them. Not sure if they are connected internally to need a bypass hose.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There is a spring loaded metal diaphram that separates the hot and cold ports. I wouldn't make it an urgent issue, but would add the crossover hose when possible. I have noticed the water temp increases more gradually when the heater control valves are open, but that's the only difference I've noticed so far.
Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Right now, I have rubber caps on them. Not sure if they are connected internally to need a bypass hose.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Block Off