Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor vs fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor vs fuel injection

i just recently converted to carburetion from fuel injection and im just kinda curious even anyone else has? its a fresh build, fresh stroked motor. big cam, heads, ect. so i havent been able to really see what itll doo. is there anyone that has done the swap?
Attached Thumbnails Carburetor vs fuel injection-engine.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

swapped mine out just before the gm high perf. race this year in Atlanta. didn't change anything but the intake, carb. and 6010 box. previous runs were with ls6 intake. car would run anywhere from 12.05 to 12.30 depending on the temp. and humidity. anyone that was at Atlanta knows what kind of storm blew in on Friday. went from hot to cold that evening with the carb. car ran 11.90 to 11.93 all weekend long. would have come close to winning the 12.00 index if i didn't mess up on the last pass. the car picked and ran consistently better..
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the determination is really what the intended use it...

A carb set-up is simple and easy.

A fuel injection set-up is a "less mx" approach as the computer can correct minor variations during operation.

There is reason why vehicles do not have carbs anymore. I wouldnt want a carb in a road race, autocross, or on the street...But the strip.. I would still prefer FI, but a carb gets the job done. Its so nice to be able to just turn the key to start a car. I hate cold starts associated with carbs.

Its almost like saying "DVD vs VHS"....they both get the job done, but one is newer technology and more precise.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with a carb for road racing... just have to have the right carb. Putting a carb'd LS1 in a road race car right now.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Its almost like saying "DVD vs VHS"....they both get the job done, but one is newer technology and more precise.
An apt analogy. And VHS doesn't force you to sit
through 5 minutes of previews and FBI propaganda
before you can get down to business.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool99
i just recently converted to carburetion from fuel injection and im just kinda curious even anyone else has? its a fresh build, fresh stroked motor. big cam, heads, ect. so i havent been able to really see what itll doo. is there anyone that has done the swap?
If you will look down below this section, you'll see a dedicated carb section. Many people have swapped to a carb.

Quick Reply: Carburetor vs fuel injection