Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 engine removal ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls1 engine removal ?'s

Anyone attempted removal of an LS1 in a 98-02 Trans Am before? Looking for any tips, tricks or things to look out for from anyone who's been in this situation. I'm going out the top since I have no way of safely going out the bottom. Also, I rebuilt the whole top end a few years back so I'm familiar with most of the preliminary stuff to take care of before this, just haven't ever unbolted the bell housing/flywheel.

- Is it possible to do this with leaving the A/C system intact? Is there enough space to hold the compressor away? I really don't want to discharge and risk moisture getting into that system but will if I have no choice.

- I've got a set of headers coming too. Is it possible to install these while the motor is out / will it fit when I drop the motor back in?

- Where are the best or only locations for engine hoist bolts to be placed on the block?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-swap-top.html

That thread was pretty helpful.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

cant go safely out the bottom????
you can get out the bottom with a couple sets of jack stands and an engine hoist...
set the k-member and transmission tail on a set of jack stands... lift the nose of the car with a big engine hoist....the 1 ton version works great.
couple blocks of wood behind the rear wheels, e-brake on, couple blocks of wood under the oil pan and trans pan just in case...(though I've never had to use them)

remove the engine/trans/k-member/struts/a-arms all as one giant piece.

I've done it in the driveway multiple times with friends cars
kept all the AC stuff together on several of them.... though its easier to just disconnect it.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled mine from the top originally but had to take everything off around it to do it. Dumb.

Going from the bottom is by far the easiest with the right set up.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input so far everyone. My goal with this project is to yank the heads and replace any lifters needed and check the cam. Then replace the oil pan gasket and rear motor seal since it's been slowly leaking for a little while now as well as some cleanup. And as a reward install a new set of Long Tube Headers.

I've already removed all the accessories and intake while it's still in the car so if I decide to go out the bottom that sucks that I wasted all that effort while it was in the car but oh well. Still think it's worth it to go out the bottom? Would I be able to put all that stuff back on while it's out and be able to put it back in, also with headers installed? It seems like those ground bolt connections on the rear of the heads would be a bitch to get back in with everything on???
Next, for those of you who have gone out the bottom:
Unplug the electrical, remove main strut bolts, tranny lines, shifter, driveshaft and that's it? This is an automatic.

Did you have to bleed the brake system and get a realignment for the car afterwards?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

By the way LPE 403 your engine bay on your build thread looks f***ing awesome!

Quick Reply: Ls1 engine removal ?'s