Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Cooler

Well, my power steering cooler is on the way out and I'm looking to replace it. A friend of mine suggested getting a hose for a non-cooler equipped car and then going with a slim cooler. Problem is, I have no idea what the hell he's talking about. Suggestions?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some 4ths didn't come with a PS cooler. Any auto parts store will have one....can't remember the part number.

Because the stock cooler really doesn't do **** for cooling....add a real one in a remote location. Preferably where airflow is present....

Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

There is an entire thread on this here....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...success-2.html

We used this cooler here... P/N 911009
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

You can see the pics on the thread above where we mounted it. I will tell you this.

1. If you want the big hose to replace the stock cooler, you will need this part number (E71981). Just FYI, if you go into autozone and they don't want to look it up by part number, the hose is under "manual" steering. I don't know why, I found that out when I went in for it and the kid didn't want to look it up by part number.

2. Flush your power steering system. I did so with mine and I'm glad I did. The old fluid came out orangish-brown.

3. If your psf is orange in color, I would flush your cooling system too. (since you're going to replace the stock psf cooler, you might as well do it at this point).

4. Do not install the cooler until last. I had a hellva time trying to get the hose (from the kit) on the cooler and the psf tank. I had to insert a 7mm socket in it over night so I could actually get it on the cooler and the tank.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I you guys are gonna add any kind of fluid cooler, be it for oil, trans or PS, make sure you get a plate style cooler. Waaay more efficient than the bent tube type coolers shown above and in the linked thread.

The B&M plate coolers are very cost-effective.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Good suggestions. I was getting my clutch replaced the other day and the guys at the shop told me some of my hoses and the PS cooler needed to be replaced. Apparently I've got PS fluid built up in my radiator. I did some research and found that that's not an uncommon problem on F-bodies.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Launching!

I had to replace my stock cooler a few months ago. I used a B&M cooler and I don't have any complaints. It's a pretty simple & straight forward process.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have cooler with 50K miles on it....I would sell it for what a new hose would cost you.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooler