See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Cooling Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also worried about hitting animals and ripping it off as well. Maybe I'll try mounting it up with the radiator area. But maybe that would cool it too much....
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Also worried about hitting animals and ripping it off as well. Maybe I'll try mounting it up with the radiator area. But maybe that would cool it too much....
If you hit something with enough force and big enough to go through the air dam and still takes out the cooler...you have bigger problems than just the cooler being knocked off. Its not gonna happen. But if you don't like that spot....mount it where I mounted my tranny fluid cooler....pics below.

And no, you won't cool it too much.

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Cooling Success-dsc01784.jpg   Power Steering Cooling Success-dsc01785.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
LS6427 is correct.

In my first post, you'll see that the cooler is mounted away from the air dam a bit. When the dam scapes, it can't bend back far enough to hit the cooler. But its close enough to the dam that is protected from road kill, debris, etc.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, I used the Advance Auto part that LS6427 used for this upgrade. I had noticed a PS fluid drip from the factory hoses a few weeks ago, so I parked the T/A until I could take a closer look. After reading several threads here, I knew to ditch the cooler and replace it with a tranny cooler.

I left the PS cooler in place and figured I'd just put a "block off" hose across the inlet and outlet tomorrow - in case it ever failed and the coolant would be contained. When I fired it up, I saw coolant dripping from lower fitting on the cooler. Grrrr. The coolant looks fine, so I think I dodged a big mess that was just around the corner. It's a 2001 with only 40K miles. I flushed the coolant about 1.5 years ago. (ironically, at the time I couldn't find the two upper hoses in stock anywhere, so I got a non-cooler single upper hose and cut it to fit - wish I'd heard about the PS cooler woes before then!)
The following users liked this post:
chumbini (03-29-2021)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find the Perma Cool cooler like the OP used anywhere. I like the frame rail one since it comes with mounting points.

AZ does have a PS cooler for $20. Does this look like it will work?

Power Steering Oil Cooler.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If our cars didn't come with a PS cooler, can we install one like this? Does the PS fluid flow through this or are you passing coolant around your PS fluid? Never really payed much attention to the PS before haha.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My SS is stick but it has a p/s cooler as a factory option. My car only has 30k on it and I haven't had any issues with the cooler. I don't drive it much at all, heck the p/s, brake and trans fluid are all factory still. I don't race my car, I'm wondering if I should look into doing something like this too.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Something odd is going on with Perma-Cool. A google search for "Perma-Cool 1003" will pull up lots of places to get the cooler. It looks like Perma-Cool's web site is currently down. I'd suggest waiting until Monday and see what their web site does if trying to access my link above.

If your car didn't come with the cooler from the factory, check out the link in the OP. It explains that GM went to the cooler later in production to help deal with P/S pump seal failures. So, depending on how you drive, you can make the call if its a worthwhile thing to do.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Save the manuals!

BTW - In a moment of weakness, I let my wife drive my car and she absolutely nailed a concrete wheel stop in a parking lot. The cooler held up fine and not a scratch!
The following users liked this post:
Y2Katfish (08-09-2022)
Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
BTW - In a moment of weakness, I let my wife drive my car and she absolutely nailed a concrete wheel stop in a parking lot. The cooler held up fine and not a scratch!

Where is the factory PS cooler so I know what to look for and rip off my car?

Also when doing this install we need a special hose? Cant just go to vatozone and tell him give me 6ft of heater hose?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb

Where is the factory PS cooler so I know what to look for and rip off my car?

Also when doing this install we need a special hose? Cant just go to vatozone and tell him give me 6ft of heater hose?
The factory cooler is inline with the top radiatior hose that runs to the pump.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Save the manuals!

The Perma-Cool cooler comes with an extra length of hose. Between that and the stock hoses, you are all set.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having the same issue with my car. P/S fluid leaking from somwhere, I assuming from the bottom of the resovior. Im gonna check today. My alternator also died on me because of this problem. Looks like i will be doing what the OP did along with a truck alternator upgrade while im at it. Thanks for posting this up!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:49 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick question on this:

Question 1:

The Autozone part number I was looking at was 911009, a two rib design. Small like the Perma-Cool, and specifically labled a Power Steering Cooler, 20 bucks.

They also have another one, part # 911403 (which I believe LS6427 used) that is a 4 rib design, and 40 bucks.

Which one do I get? Will there be a significant difference for me on the 2 rib vs 4 design? I want it to work, not be useless. My car is a Daily Driver that see's mostly 70mph, but in town I would like for it to work accordingly.

Question 2:

My car has 134k miles, and I am the 3rd owner. Only service records I can find are the radiator cap being replaced. I pulled into the parking lot at the dock last Wednesday and while I was checking in (Chevron) I noticed my car started steaming slightly right in the very front. REEKED of coolant. I couldn't detect WHERE the leak was coming from, but it was enough to get my belts wet. I had no tools on me, so I couldnt really get under the air filter assembly.

Temps never went up, and after 30 minutes of searching and the car cooled off, I checked the coolant level before I went on the boat. Still full....

I've been thinking water pump the last week.... then I came across this thread. Perhaps it's my stock PS cooler? Would a water pump drip out the weep hole enough to wet the belts completely? Car drove PERFECT for 2 1/2 hours straight.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may have a crack somewhere. I had a crack along the upper radiator hose mounting area and when I replaced the radiator, the crack was not visible. It was very hard to see. My old radiator was very dried out and brittle. I broke another hose mount just trying to remove the hose. This was on a 9 year old car. I put in a LT1 radiator for extra coolant capacity.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

What cooler do you guys recommend? 2 rib or 4? Does it really make a difference for power steering?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm running the smaller version from o'reillys. Only difference I can see is that there isn't anymore fluid leaking out from the cap and I know forsure that my coolant isn't being contaminated.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I appreciate the response, and to the OP, sorry for the hijack. Hopefully I asked a few Q's that we can ALL learn from.

Hope to HELL my car makes the drive back to Lafayette to diagnose the leak.....
Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Quick question on this:

Question 1:

The Autozone part number I was looking at was 911009, a two rib design. Small like the Perma-Cool, and specifically labled a Power Steering Cooler, 20 bucks.

They also have another one, part # 911403 (which I believe LS6427 used) that is a 4 rib design, and 40 bucks.

Which one do I get? Will there be a significant difference for me on the 2 rib vs 4 design? I want it to work, not be useless. My car is a Daily Driver that see's mostly 70mph, but in town I would like for it to work accordingly.
Depends on where you want to mount it. If you want to put it on the rail like I did in the original post, I'd strongly recommend getting the Perma-Cool off the internet. It's extra long and will give you more length than a rail cooler you can get at a parts store. (Or the parts store may even be able to order in the Perma-Cool.) If you want to go with a square unit and put it in the radiator path, then you'll have more options with the transmission coolers.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Question 2:

My car has 134k miles, and I am the 3rd owner. Only service records I can find are the radiator cap being replaced. I pulled into the parking lot at the dock last Wednesday and while I was checking in (Chevron) I noticed my car started steaming slightly right in the very front. REEKED of coolant. I couldn't detect WHERE the leak was coming from, but it was enough to get my belts wet. I had no tools on me, so I couldnt really get under the air filter assembly.

Temps never went up, and after 30 minutes of searching and the car cooled off, I checked the coolant level before I went on the boat. Still full....
This is GREAT information. I'll bet that your leak is the classic overflow out the top. That's probably why the cap was replaced at some point - the owner probably thought the cap was leaking. (But it was not.) You may be able to just do a full P/S fluid flush and have your problem taken care of.

I understand that as the fluid gets contaminated, its more prone to overflowing the reservoir. I'd expect that a better cooler will give you longer between flushes but a new flush should take you back to the way it came from the factory.[/quote]
Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
The Scammer Hammer

That's exactly what I have planned when I get home. I'm going to flush the hell out of it to the point you'd think Katrina happened in my yard. Well, it did....

I wouldn't think the water pump would weep THAT much, and just suddenly out of no where. The more I read, the more likely it seems to be the power steering cooler. Aside from that, I found a new bottle of Power Steering Fluid in the trunk when I bought her.

If it wouldn't have been for this thread, I NEVER would have suspected the PS Cooler.

Again, thanks to all, and I will update with Pics when I get home on Wednesday / Thursday.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success