Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autometer guages in my airvents.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autometer guages in my airvents.

i have automoter guages in my air vents. they look cool get a ton of compliments, but have been a pain in my assss!!! I have a Tach, Manual Oil Pres, Water temp, and an A/F in the pillar. Whe i took apart my dash ther was a ton of wiring from the radio to all the guges. they spliced all the wires.....i think they did this for electricity to run the bulbs that light up the guages? does that sound right?

next...I would like to leave my A/F, and take out the oil and tach leaving my water temp in. The oil one is mech and has a oil line runing right into the side of the motor on the driver side. how would i remove this with out oil squirting everywhere once the tube is out?

next....what do i do with all the wires? Saulder them back together?

this is gonna suk. Thanks for all the help I am going to need it.....

J
Old 04-14-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What you shoulda done is made your own ground and power for just your gauges. I have my power coming out of the fuse block, and drilled a hole for the ground. Anyways, too late soulda's. Just put a plug in the hole where you have the oil line coming out. Where exaxtly did you tap into to put the line? For the wires...did you cut them, or splice into them(which implies that you didnt cut them).
Old 04-14-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

why are they a pain in the ***? I say just leave them in there unless you want your vents back. You could always extend the wires and have a pillar pod mount house the old guages.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
What you shoulda done is made your own ground and power for just your gauges. I have my power coming out of the fuse block, and drilled a hole for the ground. Anyways, too late soulda's. Just put a plug in the hole where you have the oil line coming out. Where exaxtly did you tap into to put the line? For the wires...did you cut them, or splice into them(which implies that you didnt cut them).
thats what i woulda done, but a local speedshop did the work..they tapped into a "common place". if i remember correctly it is right next to the oil filter.the wires are crimped together, and some are tied off with a plastic nipple on the end. i want to try and fix this/ take them out. i am begginning to have electrical problems.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike K.
why are they a pain in the ***? I say just leave them in there unless you want your vents back. You could always extend the wires and have a pillar pod mount house the old guages.
they are a pita because they are shorting my radio, and forcing it to cut out here and there. once those guages went in about 3 monthes after the car started to have weird lectrical problems. one of them is a TSB or my guage cluster that has a tendency to surge, but the dealer wont fix it with the guages in it. they want the speedshop to sign a waiver stating that didnt alter teh cluster or tamper with anything vital to to the cluster inorder to get my warranty upheld.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd just do the install over again, the RIGHT way. Don't tap into any other wires. Just make your own grounds and powers. Then you can tap each gauge off of the other, so you only have a few wires coming from the whole set of gauges.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of plug would i need to cap off where the oil line is? it would need to be able to hold up under teh pressure of the oil too...

thanks J

also if i do it ALL OVER AGAIN. what do i do with the wires that were cut from the radio. put them all back together? and then start over?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure how you tapped into the radio wires, but I would remove all of the old wires from the gauges and then repair the radio wires with some butt connectors and a crimping tool. Then start over again. Make your own ground any where, and then use the fuse block for the power.

As for the plug, I'm sure you can find something at an auto supply or hardware store.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok...well i took apart the dash to take a look and here is what i see. there is a red, green, and black wire.
does this sound right:
red=power
green=?
black=ground

If the red is the power.....could i just take that one apart and move it over to the fuse block?
Also can i run more than one guage off the same fuse block?
What size fuse will i need?

TIA! J
Old 04-16-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, It's kinda hard to explain. For your three gauges, each should be tapped off the other one. Ground, power and light of gauge three should connect to ground, power, and light on gauge 2, which connects to gauge 1. Then the power for gauge 1 will go to the fuse block. It looks kinda crude, but just mash the wire into the fuse side of the fuse block on the "Gauges" fuse. Then find a suitable ground location. I chose the little triangle metal piece under the steering column. I drilled a hole and used a bolt to hold down the wire. Each gauge, except for the oil pressure, should have another wire sticking out that's NOT the light, ground, or power. It will be an odd colored wire, like green. This is the sender wire that send the info to the gauge and is coming from the engine bay through the firewall.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Ok, It's kinda hard to explain. For your three gauges, each should be tapped off the other one. Ground, power and light of gauge three should connect to ground, power, and light on gauge 2, which connects to gauge 1. Then the power for gauge 1 will go to the fuse block. It looks kinda crude, but just mash the wire into the fuse side of the fuse block on the "Gauges" fuse. Then find a suitable ground location. I chose the little triangle metal piece under the steering column. I drilled a hole and used a bolt to hold down the wire. Each gauge, except for the oil pressure, should have another wire sticking out that's NOT the light, ground, or power. It will be an odd colored wire, like green. This is the sender wire that send the info to the gauge and is coming from the engine bay through the firewall.
"just mash the wire into the fuse side of the fuse block on the "Gauges" fuse." this is located on the inner side of the driver door right? should i use one of the empty fuse spots? if not which one am i mashing the wires into? the one labeled "guages?"

thank you so much for the info..i have been at war with my car

J
Old 04-16-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done what you want to see..... ill see if i can dig up some pics and post them up.....
Kyle
Old 04-16-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

does the raptor actually fit like the harland does in the side defrost vent?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres an update...seein that my radio would cut out and do all kinds weird **** i unplugged the fuse that controlled the radio. this would mean that if the guages were the problem then my cluster surging would stop. well it didnt and the surging continued! now where do i go?