Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 ls1 starting and idle issues. nesd help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ls1 starting and idle issues. nesd help

I have a 02 ls1 out of a camaro ss in my buggy im finishing up. My problem is the motor will start only if i crack open the throttle and keep it cracked for at least 5-8sec after it starts to keep it running. Then once its idleing on its own it will idle up to 950-1050rpm snd will stay at that rpm even once warm. Motor revs fine and will hold that idle once warmed up and will 99% of the time start back up on its own afted running for few min. But if it sits for 20-30min or more it will not start unless you give it throttle.

Ive checked the tps brand new ect, new iat, new maf, map reads good, took the iac valve off cleaned it and put it back on, checked for vac. Leaks and no change. Im not sure if the iac is bad cause i can unplug it and idle does not drop any.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read somewhere that the TPS count being off could cause idle issues. There is a way to "re-set" it. I think its along the lines of un plugging it. Turn the ignition on (Don't start the car) for 10 sec. Turn it off hook the TPS back up.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Its 0'd out when im not pressing the throttle on the scan tool. Another thing i just noticed is when its warmed up and idleing on its own and i turn it off at ignition key it will start right back up in its own but if i turn off the batt. Disconnect switch and switch it back on to start (reseting the computer), it will not start unless i give it some throttle.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Ok think im getting somewhere with it, i let it sit over night and before i tried starting it i calibrated the tps by the method mentioned and hit the starter and she fired right up and idled but still idles around 950-1000. Did this many times to verify it works and sure enough it does so i guess every time i kill the power to everything it resets computer for tps calibration. I am going to run the all time orange pcm power wires to batt. Instead of through kill switch so hopefully that will fix my starting issues but idle is still more than it should. Pcm is tuned for g5x4 cam and is set at 750 warm idle 850 cold idle. So what coukd make it idle higher that i havent already checked? It doesnt change idle weather its cold or warm either

Quick Reply: 02 ls1 starting and idle issues. nesd help