Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stainless headers or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM
KDD
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stainless headers or not

I do not drive in the winter and want to know if the under hood temp will be higher with stainless headers and will the plug wires last.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

the type of material the headers are made of shouldnt have anything to do with the heat of the exhaust ceramic coated headers may run a lil cooler but i wouldnt bet on it being a huge difference. plug wires should be fine use some heat boots if youre that worried about em
Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get granetelli wires wont matter what kind of header you have and if its even touching or what type of driving you do. Get stainless headers though not for heat purposes but for longevity. Nothing is more fun than doing the same part swap when you could have only done it once.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MSD wires have bendable boots, i have had them on my car for 6 years now, not one problem.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM
KDD
Teching In

thanks for the input. I am just looking for a good header combo and do not want to over look anything.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A decent entry header that is stainless is the tsp headers either size will work depending on the amount of funds.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go stainless 1 7/8 so you want have to mess with it again. I like tsp
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Saw Kooks 1 3/4" and catless Y for sale on this site for under $700 FYI.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the benefits you get from stainless, is basically not having to worry about them falling apart or rusting on you pretty much for the entire duration or however long that car is around....

the disadvantage is that you will have quite a bit more heat under the hood, which leads to higher IAT's and even some wear and tear on some parts... plug wires will wear out sooner from being baked at a higher temperature than they were designed for by being so close to the heat source with no shielding.

this is where coated headers come in...
slight power benefits by retaining the heat inside the header(not talking about much... usually 5HP ish) and the benefits of reduced heat under the hood because of the coating on the Headers.
if you are careful on install and dont scratch the coating up, you can get a long life out of them, again, probably longer than you will own the car... especially if you buy ones with a high end coating.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you don't drive it in the winter, then get a basic steel header with a nice coating on it (inside and out). That should work just fine and last a while.

And the extra heat and wear/tear due to uncoated stainless headers is not as dramatic as you would think. Your car is not going to melt due to a few extra degrees in the bay.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
If you don't drive it in the winter, then get a basic steel header with a nice coating on it (inside and out). That should work just fine and last a while.

And the extra heat and wear/tear due to uncoated stainless headers is not as dramatic as you would think. Your car is not going to melt due to a few extra degrees in the bay.

I never said it would melt... Just causes extra wear and tear...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even when broken in correctly the coating won't last forever. If you have $$ you can get the stainless ones coated, or wrap them, they're not going to rust. I learned my lesson, I will only purchase stainless headers. I have Hooker Super Comps coated and they turned to **** on year 2. Car never is driven in the rain and has never seen a winter ever, but it does sit ouside in the summer months. I plan on running mine till they have holes through them, then it is 1 7/8" stainless Hookers so I won't have to cut my exhaust up again. I plan on keeping my car till i'm dead so they should last me. I pruchased mine when I first got the car and didn't know any better, now I understand to spend the $$ once on a quality product then spend it twice to replace parts. Go stainless.

Remember, if the headers aren't prepped good before the coating, coating won't do much for long.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM
8 Second Club

dont ever wrap a stainless header....
you will destroy it very quickly...
the extra heat will cause its chemical makeup to change, and it will become thin, weak, and brittle very quickly...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
dont ever wrap a stainless header....
you will destroy it very quickly...
the extra heat will cause its chemical makeup to change, and it will become thin, weak, and brittle very quickly...
From what I have read, that will happen on the thinner gauge stainless headers when run at long intervals -road courses - and due to 304 grade stainless

Seems there haven't been any problems with the thick gauge primary stainless headers that I have seen. There are a few pics and people floating around that will swear by it. I cannot remember what type of stainless though, Personally I would get them coated. Yes stainless does get brittle when subjected to a lot of heat. I do admit that I rarely, and I mean very rarely see anyone wrap stainless. A topic to be researched further, have always read mixed opinions. As for coating, JetHot look amazing on my bros car and have always had great reviews.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 01-04-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

had a coated steel header first. Coating didn't last and the welds started to let go. Switch to Kooks, nice header but the under hood temps were something you could feel when you lifted the hood, eventually had them coated at a reputable shop and they have been fine since.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a topic to never end really lol people have all different kinds of experiences with coated vs not coated steinless steel headers. Some are good some are bad. I have always preffered pure steinless steel headers 1 7/8s that is. It also depends on the application you will be using them in, I know couple of guys that run 1 3/4s for nitrous, others 1 7/8s for nitrous also.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
8 Second Club

with LSx engines... theres no such thing as too much header....If you can afford a 2" header... get it....even on a stock 346 you still make the most power with a 2" header.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
KDD
Teching In

what do you think about the coating on the pacesetters or the bbk. where did you see the kooks foe sale at?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM
8 Second Club

as long as its not Jet Hot coating, it will be fine....
I prefer the HTC coatings Heddman uses - the aerospace industry uses this coating as well
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the coating on pacesetters is a joke, but then again at their price i wouldn't expect much

Quick Reply: stainless headers or not