Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing FLP kit for true duals, which headers should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removing FLP kit for true duals, which headers should I go with?

Well now that Im changing up the exhaust again for the 4th time, Im going to get rid of the FLP kit because I no longer need the y-pipe, off-road pipes, or the high flow cats. I even thought about just using the headers, but I dont see any chance of selling the rest of the kit because Im sure it only works with the FLP headers. Anyhow, which headers should I use with my true dual set up? Im gonna get it custom built, so really the true duals really doesnt have anything to do with it. Im probably going to get them with no provisions since theyre both removed and blocked anyways. (AIR & EGR) I believe the FLPs are 1 3/4, should I stay with that size or go with 1 7/8? Anyhow, enough rambling from me, what do you suggest? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Kooks stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers. That way you get some of the advantage of a large tube header with out sacrificing as much of your lower end torque. That is the set I plan on going with as soon as funds permit it.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go with the Kooks. They are top notch and Stainless. Get them coated if you can afford it too. I have had the SLP's and the Kooks and I prefer the Kooks hands down.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I am currently running Pacesetter LTs with my custome 3" true dual setup, they work well. Do you plan to do the install yourself? Whatever headers you decide to go with make sure you do lots of research.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club NA

Can you buy the Kooks coated? Are all of them stepped or is that an option?

CamaroCain: Im going to install the headers, but Im going to have my true duals fabricated and installed by someone else. Why do you suggest that I do a lot of research?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Can you buy the Kooks coated? Are all of them stepped or is that an option?

CamaroCain: Im going to install the headers, but Im going to have my true duals fabricated and installed by someone else. Why do you suggest that I do a lot of research?
You can get the Kooks in painted mild steel, coated mild steel, or stainless steel. They can also send the stainless out to be coated, but I have not seen that listed as a normal option. You will have to call whoever, you decide to order the headers from to get that price. Kooks custom builds there headers so you can get them in many forms or options. They offer straight 1 3/4 primaries, 1 7/8, maybe even 2" primaries, as well as stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and 1 7/8 to 2". The Kooks sight has been under construction for quite some time, but TTP (sponsor) has a fairly good site where you can look up the options and get an idea of the pricing. GP's seem to be fairly common with these so I would wait for one before ordering. In fact TTP may still be honoring the one they had a while back, not sure though.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Kooks all the way
Old 04-20-2004, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

What makes Kooks so much more expensive and better than the others out there? The FLPs were 1 3/4, should I stick with that size, get the stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, or bump up to the 1 7/8? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

What makes Kooks so much more expensive and better than the others out there? The FLPs were 1 3/4, should I stick with that size, get the stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, or bump up to the 1 7/8? Thanks.
Beats me as to why they're so expensive. I'm running SLP's and the extra money definately went into the quality.

As to which size primaries you should get, I think that all depends on what you want your car to do. I wanted more power but my car is still a daily driver (well, as daily as they let me out to get to her). I checked a lot of stuff out before I bought mine and I found that larger primaries will flow with less backpressure, but because of this you'll see a sacrifice in bottom-end torque. I was kind of limited to what SLP sold (1-3/4) but given what I found researching, I would have gone with that size anyway because I spend at least 70-80% of my time below 3.5K. Nah, who am I kidding, its more like 50-60%

There's lots more knowledgeable folks on here that can tell you the benefits of the larger primaries and personal experiences of having them on their cars, I can really only speak for the 1-3/4 (and I love them).
Old 04-20-2004, 12:52 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy,
I'll throw my .02 in for what ever it is worth. The Jet Hot LT's are real nice they use the thicker gauge steel and flanges 16 vs 18 gauge on the tubes and 3/8 vs 5/16's. They are a little more than the pace setters but they are available with out the air provisions and still a lot cheaper than the Kooks or QTP's which are real nice also. I am using the Jet Hots and they are real nice I know you are going with duals but just to add don't wast your money on thier Y pipe if you ever planned on going back ETC...If you want call me and you can come by and look at them ETC...
Jeff
Old 04-20-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Common sense Don't you want to know all the do and don'ts, install tips, fitment issues and know what to expect instead of coming on here during the intall asking questions you that have already been answered?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:32 PM
9 Second Club NA

Oh...didnt realize thats what you were referring to. Good point though.

Jeff, PM me your number and we'll set up a day for me to come and check out your headers.

By the way for anyone who wants to answer, why are the Pacesetters so cheap compared to others out there?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

By the way for anyone who wants to answer, why are the Pacesetters so cheap compared to others out there?
time to use that search feature
Old 04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

I dont like to use the search feature much less be online while at home because I have such a sucky computer, not to mention being on dial up. So it takes forever for a search to come up, muchless reading through all of them. I am away from home at the moment, so the search feature came in handy, not to mention how fast it is. Anyhow, I found out why theyre cheaper.

Ive been looking around and noticed that Hookers dont have the option of getting them without the AIR and EGR provisions. Am I not looking in the right spot or is that the only way they come? If so, then Hooker is out of my choices. So far at the time being, its between QTP and Kooks, yet both are really expensive. Im buying just the headers themselves with no provisions, so besides the high velocity collectors, what other options do QTP offer that Kooks dont? Im kinda leaning towards the Kooks because Ive read and heard nothing but good about them and I can get them on sale, but I havent made up my mind yet. I still have a little time.

Jeff, Ive been looking around in the sponsors section and didnt see any place that carried Jet-Hots, do you know if they come with no provisions?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:16 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Jeremy.
Call them directly they don't require you to be a dealer or anything ETC... And yes they make them without the air provisions. Not to mention they are nicer than the Hookers I have the Jet Hots Jason Has the Hookers so I can show you why. I'll talk with you later.
Jeff
Old 04-21-2004, 03:17 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

By the way Jet Hot is a sponser.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running a larger cam that needed a little bit of help in the low end TQ department. To improve the TQ problem, while also helping the High End HP issue, i went with the Stainless Steel Stepped 1 3/4 into 1 7/8" Kooks Headers. I bought them from TTP who deals on a near daily basis with Kooks. Id suggest giving TTP a call and seeing the pricing they can get for them. While coating them is nice, with stainless its not necessary. I spend the money elsewhere. Kooks has done a few True dual applications as well. You might ask TTP about that set up.
R/ Scoobs