Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft sensor code? P0337

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Crankshaft sensor code? P0337

Hey guys and gals. I just finished replacing my Knock sensors, knock sensor harness and Oil Pressure sending unit.

Before this I would periodically get a SES light for a knock sensor ground low voltage reading. But I would only get the SES light about once a week and it would go away after a few times of shutting it off and starting back up.

But now after replacing these parts my SES light is on constantly. I went to AutoZone to get the codes read. I am throwing a P0337, the tech there told me it is a Crankshaft sensor code. What would cause a crankshaft sensor code to be thrown? And what should I do about it? I hate having the SES light on constanly, I don't want to be throwing another code and not know about it.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone ever had to deal with this before?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've searched in the search box above and on google and haven't found anything except just an explanation of what the code is, which I already know. I need to know what could be causing this code and what I should check to solve it!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing, but my car would not start (or it would start, run for ~5 minutes, and then cut off while moving) until I replaced the crank position sensor behind the starter.

The hardest part of the whole job was getting it up on the jack/jackstands, and the CPS is not very much coin.

It could be a ground wire, or the CPS wire into the ECM, but you will go crazy looking for that, so I would just try replacing the CPS itself first.

Last edited by dailydriver; 03-20-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so it's right behind the starter? Should I get the part from GM or is it the same thing at autozone/oreillys?

My car starts and runs fine, but it feels slightly sluggish and not as responsive on the throttle but it's just a fraction. Could just be my imagination b/c the SES light is on.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, IF it is the CPS, you just have to drop the starter to get to it, and I personally would go with a Delco or Delphi part from Rock Auto.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my SES light went away a few days ago, but came back again shortly after. It has gone away and come back twice now.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check out all the connectors and wiring, make sure nothing is burned or loose. If you change the crank position sensor, you might need to have a CASE relearn performed on it as well. The dealer or someone with scanning software can do it for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Default Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Well my SES light went away a few days ago, but came back again shortly after. It has gone away and come back twice now.
Hello KissMyTushZ28,

This looks like a reoccurring problem. Would you like to visit a dealer and get this issue diagnosed? If so, I can find the nearest dealer to you and also set up an appointment at a time convenient for you. I would just need a bit of information from you.

Reggie D, Chevrolet Customer Care.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Hello KissMyTushZ28,

This looks like a reoccurring problem. Would you like to visit a dealer and get this issue diagnosed? If so, I can find the nearest dealer to you and also set up an appointment at a time convenient for you. I would just need a bit of information from you.

Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather fix it myself than get ridiculously overcharged.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
Check out all the connectors and wiring, make sure nothing is burned or loose. If you change the crank position sensor, you might need to have a CASE relearn performed on it as well. The dealer or someone with scanning software can do it for you.
Thanks man. I'm planning to check it sometime this weekend when I change the oil. Full time work and college really sucks.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather fix it myself than get ridiculously overcharged.
KissMyTushZ28

No problem and I definitely can respect getting your hands dirty and doing it yourself. If there should be anything in the future you may need, look us up or we'll find you. Here to help.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
KissMyTushZ28

No problem and I definitely can respect getting your hands dirty and doing it yourself. If there should be anything in the future you may need, look us up or we'll find you. Here to help.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft sensor code? P0337