Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals guys come in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals guys come in!

Well I'm working on a true dual setup right now. Got the SS eBay true duals, and from reviews and youtube videos, I think I'm going with sweet thunders. I'm looking for a deep growl, semi-loud. Louder than your average sports car on the road, but not so loud to where people 5 lanes over can barely hear their music with the windows up lol. I'm trying to get a taste for how duals dumped usually are, but all youtube videos basically sound like the same volume, I'd have to hear it in person to really tell the difference.

So basically if people with LT's and duals could rate their loudness and give a short description of their setups that'd be great, 1 out of 10 with 1 being bone stock, 4 being around a catback, and 10 being open headers. I gues I'd like to be around a 7. I daily drive the car so nothing that's going to bring too much attention from the cops, in virginia anything other than stock exhaust is illegal

Another question I have is, from what I hear, the longer the sweet thunder muffler, the deeper, tamer and quieter it gets. What length do yall think suits my needs without going past the rear axle? Or can I only fir an 18" back there? I basically want deep, noticeably loud without being obnoxious, and NO rasp. Duals are supposed to be the solution to rasp but in alot of YouTube videos I'm hearing more rasp than some of the nicer Y-Pipe setups out there. I hear that the closer the muffler is to the x pipe the better it is for rasp, and bringing the xpipe out the back is another cause of the raspiness. Anyone have any theories or experience with what works and what doesn't?

And also, any other setup suggestions for what I'm looking for? I'm basically only going off of Youtube and reviews..

And what else do I need to get for the exhaust? It only came with the pipes themselves, no hangers or nothing. I'm not too knowledgeable about building/fabricating any type of exhaust so flanges and etc are new to me. Just want to get a list of everything so I can get to ordering miscilenious parts.

As for the install, I'm doing it by myself on base at an auto shop where you can pay for stall time and you have a selection of lots of tools. Since I'm doing it by myself, and never worked on any exhaust, anyone with any special tips for these specific duals or duals in general is welcome to shed their knowledge.

And trust me, I've been reading stickys and threads, especialy Sail Hatan's threads, just want to get all the information I can get so I can know exactly what to expect and what I'm getting into. I'd hate to spend money on a setup that sounds great on youtube, but is way too loud/quiet/raspy etc, and then have to go and hack it up. sorry if this is a repeat thread. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

I just got done with my setup (I did speed engineering headers+ebay true duals with 2 moroso spiral flows)
I worked on it about 1-2 hours a day every day before my 2-10 job, and finished it all on the saturday, finished tweaking+hanging and tucking on sunday, its still not perfect, but good enough.
I knew it would be loud...But damn...At first i was like HELL NO IM TRADING FOR A CATBACK, inside the cabin, the loud obnoxious noise, the rattles, got to me at first, but im adapting to it. On the inside of the car, it sounds like an ***..(maybe its just me)
So i had my girlfriend drive by me a couple times at various RPMS, and wow its just sexy,

I've actually slowed down since i got this setup, because seriously...it draws attention, ALOT of it, i haven't got pulled over yet but im sure if a cop ever catches me above 3k RPMS It'll happen

I listened to the same setup i bought on youtube, it did not even close to doing it justice, exhaust is all about preference, but i dont think you can really go wrong with duals on these cars, if you REALLY hate it, just buy new mufflers till you find what you like.

If you bought the same ebay duals as me youll need about 7 stainless steel band clamps from advanced auto or whoever you can them from (if you aren't having the whole thing welded, my mufflers+turndowns were the only welded parts). (find the ones with 2 bolts to torque down, you can just keep torquing on them and it'll seal GREAT)

As far as hangers i went to autozone, got 4 generic hangers (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=259001_0_0_) and 2 rubber insulators, stuck a hanger through each hole, welded them to the turndowns+floorboards.

Im assuming you dont have a welder, so what i would suggest is just get it all up there and clamped, drag it all the way to the nearest exhaust shop, and ask them to tweak, tuck, and hang it for you, shouldn't cost too much i would think.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

3" custom made true duals dumped at the axle, x-pipe, Moroso spirals and turn downs. Actually it's not as loud as you would think until you get on it. Then it's bad ***. At idle it's really deep like the old muscle cars. Love it. Everybody that hears it loves it. You can't really do it justice on video. The X-pipe eliminates the rasp.

Idle clip :

High rpm clip

Last edited by MFJ; 07-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Perfect thread and timing! I am actually wanting to do the exact same setup, QTP LT's, X-pipe and custom TD piping though done through a friend at Browne's Automotive shop in Virginia Beach! I thought about buying all the pieces and doing it myself... But I would rather pay for a professional job since I don't have the slighest clue to welding or putting together such a masterpiece of exhaust! Plus, having it welded will eliminate the headache from the fumes! I would rather have a fully welded TD setup and not smell "as much" fumes if any inside my car....

I am interested in seeing your setup and hearing it as well when finished! I plan on doing my LT header install, AIR delete etc etc after I get back from my next short ships underway... I am currently stationed on *** on the USS George H W Bush, what about you man??

I plan on placing the Sweet Thunder Chambered mufflers between the gas tank, after the axle... what about you?? You mentioned before the axle, closer to the X pipe creates less rasp?? I would like to know if this theory is true??

Would be great to compare our TD setups! Look forward to hearing from you and let me know if you need any help in any future projects! I am in the area and would always love some wrench time!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah i guess i agree with MFJ, i have the same moroso spiral flows after the x, everybody has complimented on it so far, also i wouldnt be afraid of taking it on a road trip, because if im hovering at 1800-2000 rpms its just a tad louder than stock, but if i get on it to pass somebody, it gets loud haha
Old 07-03-2013, 01:36 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

TSP 1 7/8" Headers, TSP duals with Sweet Thunders

My Chrs1313 is actually loud as HELL in this video. Sounded like it was gonna suck up a small child...

Old 07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 3/4" pacesetters and 3" duals with single chambers. There's several vids of the car at the track on my youtube channel if you click through them. It's deep and loud. Like knocks crap off the walls in the garage loud.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Are you planning on getting a after market torque arm? Iv read that with the Tsp true duals it won't fit, it can be done though with some custom work, I been looking into true duals myself and live in Richmond va but like you I don't want it to loud, my exhaust now is way to loud and raspy, could get a universal x pipe from summit and some pipe, shouldn't be to expensive. It's just a gamble with the law here in va
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I absolutely love my dumped TSPs with sweet thunders. Fking perfect.
I've had flowmaster and loudmouth and never again will I go with a y setup.. They can sound good..but nothing compares to duals imo.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Dynamic Tech 1 3/4 headers , custom 3" true duals with x pipe dumped out to the passenger side. Moroso spiral flow mufflers. I'd rate it an 8. Vid in my sig
Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
1 3/4" pacesetters and 3" duals with single chambers. There's several vids of the car at the track on my youtube channel if you click through them. It's deep and loud. Like knocks crap off the walls in the garage loud.

370ci LSx camaro idle - YouTube
Are your single chambers flowmaster 10's ?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 3/4 LT's/Hedman X/Dynomax Bullets/Dumped. It is loud definately 8ish territory. At low rpms it is deep enough that it draws less attention than you might realize, especially compared to the ungodly farting noise of a LT/ORY/LM setup. It screams when you get on it though. I would never go back

Be forwarned, they are loud, and will get you noticed. Discretion is warrranted.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have pacesetter lt's, tsp duals with their bullets and to me inside the car it doesn't sound good to me but everyone compliments the sound of it so outside must be alright. If I ever see Borla atak or the Borla stinger bullets I am going to buy them. Love the way they sound
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Launching!

My setup is in the sig. I don't think duals are that much louder than a y pipe setup at all. It does seem loud on startup, until it warms up and the idle goes down then its fine. I haven't been bothered by any cop for it but I don't think I've been over 2300 in front of one. When you get above like 2500 then it becomes a whole other animal, an awesome badass baby eating animal. But when you're below that, it has a very deep mellow old school hot rod sound. I do have a little bit of noise in the cabin but its not bad at all if you ask me. I can tell you now though, if you go duals, you will never go back to anything else.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

This shows you the differences between a few of the exhaust setups. You can see how loud the true duals are at the end. If I could choose again I would have gone with sweet thunders over bullets.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 466 Likes on 365 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Any one do any back to back power,1/4 tests from Y pipe to true duals?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

I have LT's to xp dumped with sweet thunders. If I can get a vid tomorrow I'll post it up for ya. Fav sound I have heard on an fbody yet.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Pacesetter 1 3/4 LT's, LPP stainless true dual X-pipe, 18" sweet thunders.....order yourself a set of J-hook hangers off ebay, they are exactly what TSP uses on their bullet mufflers in the TD kits....first vid is bolt on's before i knew how to launch this bitch, second is playing around on the street after i installed the cam in my sig.....the internet doesn't do Sweet Thunders much justice.....i've had seven or eight different exhaust setups and the ST's sound the best by far....i even sold my first ones and went back to them after having several different y-pipe setups........order the 24" high performance 2.75" inner baffle Sweet Thunders, they will exit right underneath where your driveshaft meets the rearend, the 18's i have now are a little too short (but definitely loud)

Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I"m going with some 24"sweet thunders, 7 stainless band clamps, and 4 hangers.

As it turns out, I'm going to have to have a shop to the install. I'm thnking about getting motor mounts too, and people are saying it took them 50-60 man hours or a period of a week or two to do it, and that was with a y-pipe. I don't have the tools or time to do this install myself this time around with my work schedule.

How much do yall think it would be for a shop to do the swap? And how long do you think they'd take?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

do it yourself, they charge TONS for header and MM installs, not to mention the custom fabbing theyll have to do to get everything perfect, Im full time working 2-10s and i just did like 1-2 hours a day, it got done, but i didnt do motor mounts

Quick Reply: True Duals guys come in!