Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick MAC question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quick MAC question....

My friend and I are installing some MACs on his 98 Z28 this weekend,and hes wondering if its ok to run the headers straight up with no y pipe.noise not withstanding,he wants to know if its safe to run with just the headers.so me being his go to tech guy wanted to ask you guys fi theres any reason that open mid lengths will hurt him.any feedback is appreciated.thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1again
My friend and I are installing some MACs on his 98 Z28 this weekend,and hes wondering if its ok to run the headers straight up with no y pipe.noise not withstanding,he wants to know if its safe to run with just the headers.so me being his go to tech guy wanted to ask you guys fi theres any reason that open mid lengths will hurt him.any feedback is appreciated.thanks!
You can drive like that for a little while, but why on earth would you want to? Put a y-pipe or duals on there, I have macs and the y-pipe is crap, getting true duals as soon as I get the extra money.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope, I wouldn't do it. Your O2' are going to go "Loco" if you kept them. If not the total lack of backressure will give you a hell of headache with tuning and misbehaviour on the part of that LS1. I would run at least 1.5 meters of tubes with an H pipe.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i fired my car up with open headers,but only for 30sec. why the hell would anyone want to drive that way? if more sound is what he needs then get a cutout.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open headers is a bad idea. Not only will the car barely run, but air will go back into the headers and burn out the 02 sensors. If you want, you can for fun start it up just to hear it, but not for more than 20-30 seconds to be safe.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok guys thanks for the advice,ill be sure to pass it along to him.i had a feeling that it wouldnt be the best idea to drive around like that,but i just wanted a second opinion from you guys that have been there done that.im trying to get him to do an x-pipe setup,so we'll see if he wants to go for that.for now though i think he'll live with open y pipe.he already drives around now with the stock exhaust off after the y.