Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

welded or clamped??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default welded or clamped??

im gonna have my magnaflow put on tomorrow and what should i have done??
im gonna do headers in the future
Old 05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I've had both. My first cat-back system was Borla. In order to get the pipes from slipping at the clampled joints to keep the exhaust pipe from banging in the area over the passenger side axle, I ended up having to weld the pipe in two places. I probably spent half again as much money welding and refitting the Borla as I did for the original cost.

Now I have a Magnaflow. The difference in the design and quality of clamps and hangers compared to the Borla IMO is night and day difference. The Magnaflow is far superior.

I haven't had to adjust the Magnaflow at all and don't expect I ever will. And we didn't have to weld or spot weld any of the joints.

So if it were me, I would do the initial install with just the clamps with no welds. If the joints don't hold then just do spot welds.

It's the joint just in front of the axle that slips and get everything out of aligment. Get it right from the get-go and you probably won't have any problems. Or just spot weld it.

Tip: Pull your aluminum wheels if you decide to weld or when cutting off the stock pipes. You don't want the sparks blowing onto the inner part of your wheels which causes pits and start flaking in the chrome if it burns through.

D---b A-- welder on my car didn't and ruined the insides of my wheels.

Good luck...the sound of a Magnaflow is sweet. Borla's not too bad either, but I like the Magnaflow better.

One good point about the Borla, though, is the stainless is one grade higher than the Magnaflow. The Borla just flat doesn't show much surface rust compared to the Magnaflow which is due to a higher grade of stainless with a Borla.

hth